London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
8 messages
19/09/2013 at 17:46

i am new to gardening. as all of you know, when we get some veg and fruits we have a lot of them, for relatively short time, i would like to know how to stor them during winter - without ! loosing their vitamins and minerals. 

tnx

19/09/2013 at 19:16

Potatoes and onions can be kept in hessian or paper sacks and stored in a dark, cool but frost-free place for several months. Carrots and parsnips can be stored in a bucket of damp (but not wet) sand, but are perhaps best left in the ground until needed.  Other things like calabrese, peas, beans etc should be picked at their best, blanched (see below) and frozen.  I usually 'open freeze' them and then place in plastic bags once they are hard which prevents them all sticking together in one lump.

Blanching means to drop into a large pan of boiling water for about 2 minutes and then taken out and immediately plunged into a large bowl/pan of iced water.

19/09/2013 at 19:58

Apples should be stored on a tray if possible in a cool ,,dry ,ventilated  place,be careful the fruits do not touch each other

19/09/2013 at 21:40

You can freeze peas and beans very easily.  

Raspberries and most other berry fruits freeze quite successfully (not strawberries).  Jams, jellies and chutneys can be made out of all sorts of fruits and vegetables. 

20/09/2013 at 05:05

tnx everybody!!! it helps! 

i know about drying as well but never did any of those process including drying.

20/09/2013 at 10:37
Hi Beckie i found this ,i dont know how to make the connection go black and underlined so it takes you straight there like some on line do so just copy and have a look its good for freezing and saving
http://www.growveggies.net/harvesting_and_storing/storing_your_vegetables/
Alan
20/09/2013 at 17:33

tnx Alan!

24/09/2013 at 21:01

Hi all just browsing through pages. Great  web page Alan which I have saved. Looking how to store beetroot. 

email image
8 messages