London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
19 messages
25/02/2013 at 10:39

Hi All. Just been putting pen to paper and planning out my veggie beds for the coming year.  I am wondering about growing some sweet potatoes for a change.  I find they go really well in curries, with and without meat,  and my grandson likes them as mash instead of potatoes. Has anyone got some hints about how to grow them?  I believe they are not related to ordinary spuds so may require some other growing conditions. Any ideas?  Thanks

25/02/2013 at 15:42

I dont know the growing conditions but I know they are very veratile and tasy to eat and full of good things .

25/02/2013 at 17:01
Thompson and Morgan (and I imagine lots if other places too) supply sweet potatoes suitable for growing in the UK. They have plenty of information on their website about how to grow them too. Keep us updated I'd be interested to hear how your crop does.
25/02/2013 at 21:24

I love sweet potatoes, don't know anything about growing them though. I'm starting for the first time with maris pipers. I would be interested in how to grow them

25/02/2013 at 22:03

I like sweet potatoes but haven't grown them, according to the T & M website they like warm growing conditions preferably in a GH or polytunnel, well worth a look. Keep us informed, you could become our resident overnight expert on growing them  

25/02/2013 at 22:36

My understanding is that they need a longer warm period than is possible in the UK without a polytunnel or greenhouse.

26/02/2013 at 12:01

Thanks everyone. Don't know about becoming the "expert" but will give it a try. Growing them under black plastic has been mentioned. Will keep and eye out for more info.  Something to mull over whilst waiting for some outdoor warmth (Ha ha).  Oh to get going out there!

26/02/2013 at 19:29

I have grown sweet potatoes a couple of times with limited success but as I like them so much I am trying again this year

Pam LL x

31/10/2013 at 15:17

hi how have the sweet potatoes done this year for you please, and do any off you know if they will regrow next year from small bits of roots left in from this year

01/11/2013 at 11:50

Hi,

You can buy slips online and these come wrapped up but will need to be revived in a jar of water for 24hrs, unfortunately they take longer to grow and the tubers are smaller.

However you can now also buy pot planted young plants too and they're near enough a similar price. They grow much stronger and quicker and produce much bigger and larger quantities.

THey require a long growing season though so you wouldnt be lifting them until just before the first frosts

Hope this helps!

01/11/2013 at 15:39

thanks Greenfingeredsmoggy i did grow them this year from slips not very well im afraid i was wondering how Lilylouise and madeleine had managed this year,

i dont know if mine were short of water the tops looked ok but not a lot going on underneath

01/11/2013 at 23:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33561.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

This is our crop of sweet potatoes this year - best one so far 

Pam LL x

02/11/2013 at 06:58

lily did you grow them in the ground or in the greenhouse or poly tunnel and howmuch water.

wonderful crop id be happy with those 

thanks Ann

02/11/2013 at 08:34

Hello Ann - I did buy small plants and grew them on in the greenhouse for a few weeks-then they were planted on the allotment . They were planted through weed control fabric and didn't get watered specially. I expect the good Summer weather helpedWe dug the sweet potatoes up a couple of weeks ago.

I will definitely try them again -I love sweet potatoes

Pam LL

04/11/2013 at 15:40

hi pam thanks i will try again next year

04/11/2013 at 21:11

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.  Your crop looks good LL.  Which variety did you grow and how do they compare taste and texture-wise to shop-bought ones?

I am sorry to say that, despite my posing the question here, I never got around to planting sweet potato this year which is a shame as it sounds as if it would have been a good year weather-wise. But I am currently planning my allotments for next year so will plan to an area for them.  Is it a case of not planting them where potatoes have been grown the previous year?

04/11/2013 at 21:33

Hi Madeleine, they are unrelated to ordinary potatoes so no problem in growing them where you grew spuds this year.  Funnily enough they are the same family as Morning Glory (Ipomoea.)

05/11/2013 at 07:13

I grew these  They taste yummy -anything we grow ourselves tastes better doesn't it  I only bought 6 plants  so Suttons must have changed the quantity

Pam LL x

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Plants/All+Vegetable+Plants/Sweet+Potato+Beauregard_208211.htm

05/11/2013 at 09:11

Thanks Pam and Bob. Yes 10 plants from the link you sent me.  That could do for the first time.   I  wonder what the opinions are about growing  the plants as opposed to the slips way?

email image
19 messages