London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
15 messages
16/08/2014 at 16:27

Hello,

We have been growing Gardeners Delight for a few years and this year we tried Pink Flamingo and Sungold (the free GW offer) and they are also amazing. We thought about trying a ribbed beefsteak tomato next year, does anyone know of any varieties they like, that they would recommend???

Also does anyone know where you can buy the Pink Flamingo seeds from, I am struggling to find anyone who has them. One plant just wasn't enough

Thanks

17/08/2014 at 00:54
If you can't find Pink Flamingo seeds, then save some yourself from this year's crop. The Real Seeds site gives full instructions on how to save seed.

I find beefsteak varieties have one drawback; they are very large. Some varieties have excellent flavour but personally I prefer to grow normal-sized varieties as they are not prone to cracking.
17/08/2014 at 08:59

How long is your growing season, MM? Beefsteaks, being larger, can take 75+ days from planting out to maturity.

17/08/2014 at 09:50

We have had some success with Marmande - just not many tomatoes per plant

18/08/2014 at 20:13

I shall look up how to save the seeds thanks Welshonion.

Italophile, I live in south Dorset and have an unheated greenhouse, so have quite a long summer. I saw Monty growing them in his greenhouse, but he just said they were italian beefsteaks. Thought it was worth a go. What do you think?

19/08/2014 at 08:38

MM, we've got friends in Dorset - around Blandford - and I give them seeds. They can grow beefsteaks in an unheated greenhouse. In a good summer, obviously, like last year. In ordinary summers they struggle to get a crop.

I've had a look around the UK seed suppliers for some nice varieties. I know nothing about this supplier's history or reputation but they have two excellent varieties - Anna Russian and Cherokee Purple. Both highly recommended.

Anna Russian is a dark pink heart-shaped indeterminate variety. My wife's favourite, I grow it every year. Hearts usually take a while to mature but AR is earlier than usual and is also much more prolific than a typical heart. Lovely rich but delicate flavour. The plant never looks sturdy; in fact, it looks like it could flop over at any time, but looks are deceiving. While it needs lots of tying up, it's as tough as old boots, its branches spreading like octopus tentacles.

They call Cherokee Purple a beefsteak but it's more of an oblate. Regardless, it's a delicious rich complex flavour. I gave a friend in Umbria a plant and he reckons it's the best tom he's ever tasted. I wouldn't go that far but it certainly gives your taste buds a real kick. Indeterminate, but never much more than a medium-sized plant.

They also list a couple of Costoluto varieties. I think they're the Italian beefsteaks Monty Don grows. They're the best-known Italian beefsteaks outside Italy. I've tried them a couple of times over the years and found them bland. There are many better varieties around.

19/08/2014 at 09:50

Hi Italophile, Blandford isn't too far, I'm about an 1hr away towards the coast We've had a brilliant crop the last two years from our toms, but I understand if its a wet year they won't do well. I shall look up the Anna Russian and Cherokee Purple, they both sound delicious. May have to try one of each Thank you for the advice it's really helpful.

22/08/2014 at 11:12

I have been growing Hungarian Strawberry for the last couple of years, along with lots of smaller ones (and also Costoluta (mentioned previously).  I really like the hungarian Strawberry (available from Real Seeds) but mainly use both of these in cooking, leaving the Cherry types for eating, i.e. Sungold, Ildi and Black Russion.  Tried this for the first time this year and quite impressed.  Always save my seeds as I never know what I am going to get the next year, but always delicious.

22/08/2014 at 12:44

This year I'm growing a ribbed beefsteak type called Miranda - lovely flavour and really good sizes and what is more plenty of them

For a delicious small plum (like a cherry tomato ) I am growing one called Santolina

Will definitely grow them next year as well

24/08/2014 at 20:41

I'm growing both maskarena and costoluto florentino toms, both are fab and just starting to turn red. The florentinos are huge! 

26/08/2014 at 11:45

Shop bought Toms don't hold a candle to home grown ones.  I have to say I get quite depressed when I have picked that very last of my homw grown toms - does anyone feel the same?

26/08/2014 at 12:41
I grew Black Russian last year fantastic Tom
26/08/2014 at 12:48

I agree with you Melspade the taste of Home grown Tom's are so much better.

26/08/2014 at 12:54

Just harking back to the Cherokee Purple variety that I mentioned up the thread. Here's the first one for the season. Delayed because the plants went back into pots for a month while I was away on hols, and this one is smaller than typical for the same reason. Usually at least a third bigger. 

Easy to grow, mid/late season, medium-sized plant, not hugely prolific so you'd need a couple of plants. Utterly delicious!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57594.jpg?width=225&height=300&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57595.jpg?width=225&height=300&mode=max

26/08/2014 at 13:04

Mmmm. Pics a bit on the small side.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57598.jpg?width=366&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57599.jpg?width=324&height=350&mode=max

Pffft. Now they're distorted. I give up.

email image
15 messages