London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
17 messages
06/05/2013 at 17:28

Hi aall just watered toms and some of the leaves have a few grey marks on is that anything to worry about, toms are about a foot tall under a cloche

clk
06/05/2013 at 17:42

It could be scorch marks if the water splashed onto the leaves and then hot sun shone onto them, or I've found some plant feeds in water mark the leaves if it splashes them. Do you have a photo?

clk
06/05/2013 at 20:48

Yes, it sounds to me like scorch - try to keep the water off the leaves when watering - damp leaves are very susceptible to blight and other nasty conditions.

07/05/2013 at 08:03

Hard to know without seeing a photo, Nicholas. You'd need decently hot direct sun to scorch leaves. Dove is right, though. Never wet the foliage, particularly in a closed environment like a cloche. The humidity inside will lead to fungal problems.

07/05/2013 at 08:09

I always try to water right down at roots which seems to be the answer Nicholas 

07/05/2013 at 08:52

It is the answer, Fairygirl. And, as the plants grow to their full size, take off the lower branches and foliage to keep a gap of 12-18" between the soil and the lowest foliage. Fungal spores can and will fall down onto the soil beneath the plant. The gap helps guard against splashing the spores back up onto the plant during watering.

07/05/2013 at 16:43

ok all ill try and get a photo upto night

07/05/2013 at 20:57

Hi folks this is the thing I'm talking about, hope the pic comes out ok.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23191.jpg?width=244&height=350&mode=max

08/05/2013 at 06:54

Pity the photo's not a bit bigger, but I can see little "bullseye" spots inside those necrotic patches particularly towards the bottom end of the leaf. Usually an indicator of a fungal problem, possibly Early Blight.

I'd get them out from under the cloche and get some fresh air circulating.

08/05/2013 at 07:16

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P5050833_zps0bad5769.jpg

Took this pic of one of mine the other day. First time I've grown from seed so pleased with how they came on.

08/05/2013 at 07:19

Outstanding, Fairygirl. Congratulations. Which variety is it? When will you be planting it out?

08/05/2013 at 07:23

hi italophile they are tomatoes, so you think blight?

i had it on the plants last year all through the growing season but hey came out ok

08/05/2013 at 10:23

Nicholas, I'd like a closer look but those darker "bullseyes" inside the necrotic (lighter) patches look like the early stages of a fungal problem.

"Blight" has become a generic term for any fungal problem. The most common fungal problems in the home garden are Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot. Neither will kill a tomato plant providing basic care is taken - nipping off the worst-affected leaves, etc. Without denuding the plant of foliage, obviously.

Unless you want to spray against fungal problems, you have to be rigorous with your preventive measures. Never ever water the foliage, keep sufficient distance - at least 3' - between plants to allow plenty of air circulation, and nip off excess branches and foliage (even healthy stuff) to avoid great clumps of foliage that work against air circulation through the foliage.

Clear air circulation is the bottom line. Still air, particularly if it's humid, and clumps of impenetrable foliage, are heaven for fungal spores. That's why I'd get them out from under the cloche.

08/05/2013 at 10:28

ok thanks for that

i must admit i went out this morning and double checked and took the offending devils off (leaves), i must admit i was thinking off puting them out this weekend anyway know the frosts have hopefully passed.

thanks for your advice it has just really confirmed what i thought

08/05/2013 at 10:34

No probs. There is no escaping fungal spores. They're airborne, they're everywhere, and invisible to the naked eye. Greenhouses don't even provide protection. In fact, there are fungal diseases that are peculiar to greenhouses, that you never see on outdoor-grown toms. All you can do is take as many preventive measures as you can to minimise the spores' impact.

08/05/2013 at 10:42

great thank you

KEF
08/05/2013 at 10:47

Lovely healthy plant Fairy & you've got my cushion!

email image
17 messages