Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Tina_i_am
Hi, I've got a few extra tomato plants left over and I'm going to give them to my mother in law. But I've only got muli-purpose compost and tub&basket compost left, is it okay just to use this or should I get a fruit&veg bag to pot them up? Also, is it okay just to pot herb in tubs using a muli-purpose or tub&basket or would it be better to get the fruit&veg compost bags. Thanks in advance x
Calendula

I only ever use multipurpose compost for my tomatoes and they do fine. I mix it with garden soil but that's more for warter retention that nutrition. As long as they are fed and watered regularly they won't mind. As for the herbs - it depends which ones. Things like rosemary and tarragon prefer poor soil.

sotongeoff

There is no need to buy in extra composts-either of the ones you have will do the job.

Tina_i_am
Oh thank you for replying.

I do have some tarragon to plant, what's best then?
sotongeoff

Either of the ones you have- just don't overfeed.

Honestly I never buy in specalist composts-a good multipurpose does the job.

Advertisement

Italophile

As long as the pH is on the slightly acid side the toms will be fine.

Green Magpie

Most herbs are not fussy about soil/compost, as they grow very well in the wild with no cossetting. Tomatoes wil be fine in multi-purpose, although they will need feeding eventually, especially if they're kept in pots, regardless of the compost you use.