London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
5 messages
24/05/2012 at 10:49

Hi, this is my first post and I'm newly re acquainted with gardening so be gentle with me  !

I've been growing Gherkins, variety cucumis sativus, from seed. At first I was getting a very low germination rate, probably about 30%. They started off in fibre pots indoors perfectly fine and I started hardening off when they where at the 3 leaf stage and about 6 or 7cm high. However when planted out in the permanent bed, the leaves quickly yellow from the outer edges in and the plant withers and dies. I've tried this 3 times now over the last 6 weeks and get the same result every time. I have no previous experience of this problem and don't know where to start looking for an answer. Can anyone help?

24/05/2012 at 11:08

You've tryed planting out, 3 times over the past 6 weeks - faaaaaaar to early ! Unless of course your located some place warmer than the UK. June would have been the earliest planting out time for me. Got to treat gherkins the same as cucumbers - warmth and rich soil.

24/05/2012 at 11:10

I think it's still too cold for them outdoors at night - they need minimum temperatures in the mid-teens. Try using a cloche over them at night for at least another month.

24/05/2012 at 22:24

hmmm....thanks for the answers so far. I think you may be right. My plot is south facing and gets direct sun for around 8 - 10 hours a day. It's fairly sheltered and the rear retaining wall radiates a lot of heat....but I think possibly the soil temperature may have been dropping too sharply overnight.

Do you think that may have been the major factor?

25/05/2012 at 07:42

Definitely. They need soil temps in at least the high teens to prosper.

email image
5 messages