Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Veg growing inside

What are the best vegetables to grow inside. Have had success with various chilli varieties in the past as well as herbs and will be growing them again this year, but I was wondering what else you all think Is worth a try. We have large south facing floor to ceiling windows and I am prepared to put some hours in to growing things. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

You could try tomatoes??-anything that would be suitable for greenhouse growing?-though even with a big window the light is not the bestimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

You could try tender stuff like tomatoes, sweet peppers and aubergines to go along with your chillies but they'll need careful watering and feeding and you'll have to watch out for beasties and maybe help with pollinating.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Lots and lots of salad crops - leaves, radish, spring onions - yum. I do all of these on my windowsills along with herbs (rosemary, basil, mint, coriander and thyme) image. I'm going to give garlic a go this year. 

• We've currently got first early potatoes on the go in the conservatory  (OH reckons to get the earliest spuds in the village!) and after those it will be tomatoes image

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

I've sown some sweet peppers and am going to try growing some in the conservatory.  Can it get too hot for peppers?  Have got some shading material (old net curtain) - don't want to leave windows open wide if I'm out image

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    I'd go for lots of different salad crops too as they wouldn't take up too much space and you could probably have a near enough all year supply. image