Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Veg seeds to sow now...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I found the article in GW mag about sowing winter veg and filling gaps with catch crops helpful in the July issue.

I'm gonna have loads of gaps and spaces come the end of July after spuds, onions, garlic and shallots are dug up. Brussels only went out last week and I've kale in modules which can go out soon, these are taking the place of bolted red cabbage...

Was going to sow chad, cauli, kohl rabi, turnip and mooli as winter veg and bienniel flowers to fill veg beds which become vacant later in the season. 

What's everyone else sowing...

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi zoomer, im planning on pretty much the same as you, will autumn sow some cabbage for next year, very into oriental veggies as they grow so quickly, might do overwintering onions, not sure yet image
  • derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

zoomer iv'e done well this time with overwintering onions that i planted in october last, red and white atb DD

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

In July I will sow Eskimo carrots, which are supposed to survive cold winter weather and keep nice in the harsher conditions.  Not used them before, but am keen to find out.  And some winter cabbages too. 

• wrinkly1wrinkly1 Posts: 50

2 years running i,ve grown japanese onions. none seem to go to seed and do really well. i,m lifting them now.and fill the gap to summer ones

• derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

wrinkly1 are you putting more onions in the space you have where the japs were ?

DD

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

This will be the first time I've tried winter veg, was too late last year, I'm harevesting some stuff early to make room on the plot for winter veg.

Hope you do well with carrots BB2, I always struggled to grow them in the back garden so haven't tried them on the allotment.  

I harvested my swedes this week to make room for winter veg, it was a white French variety planted out early which didn't bolt. The swedes are tender but a good size.

Most of my onions and shallots are bolting but I'm still harvesting them. They were planted out early and I have a problem with nightmares tail and bindweed on the allotment so their roots have been constantly disturbed due to digging out weeds this year.   

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Im hoping my purple sprouting and kale will do ok, its been a while since ive done winter veg, never tried winter carrots, will wait and see what everyone elses are like, i have terrible trouble with carrot fly, am growing in pots at the moment image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399
    I've just sown some chard, spinach and white lisbon spring onions to overwinter. We've had a couple of good crops from some I overwintered last year, so I'm starting them off earlier this year as I have a gap. I may stick some more carrots in when my shallots come up, or just leave the ones planted between the shallots to get bigger. They're little round ones, I can't remember the variety off the top of my head.
  • snowathletesnowathlete Posts: 138
    I planted some carrots about a week ago. Cat has been using the new bed as a toilet which is a pain, so they won't end up in neat rows as planted, if they come up at all.

Today I sowed some purple sprouting broccoli. But late, but hopefully it'll be alright...they have the best window sill in the house so will hopefully catch up a bit before being planted out in a few weeks. I've never grown it before but it seems like a good bet because its expensive in the supermarkets, and it grows over winter, what more could you ask for?