London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
    16/10/2013 at 12:16

What new varieties of vegetable have you grown and liked this year? Gardeners' World Magazine would like to know your top-rated new veg varieties for a feature in the New Year. Post on this thread and your recommendations could appear in the magazine. 

Catherine Mansley, features co-ordinator, BBC Gardeners' World Magazine

16/10/2013 at 14:36

Black Forest courgettes  are still producing. They have done well against others I have in the same bed.

Moonlight runner beans  have smooth pods and have cropped well.

Swift sweetcorn cropped well both this year and last year.

Kifli potatoes are a waxy potato that produced a nice size for salad, with a new potato taste.

16/10/2013 at 16:19

koi,is it called,planted it but never got round to eating it.

16/10/2013 at 18:29

Also I grew Kale for the first time. Seaweed kale and cavolo nero. Netted they produced lots of leaves for cooking, and no waste- I just picked what we needed for one meal at a time.

16/10/2013 at 18:32

Catherine, you could look at this thread that Dove started last month.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/i-will/i-wont-grow-that-again/139715.html

16/10/2013 at 18:42

I grew calabrese Kabuki for the first time this year and was impressed.  It was grown with close spacing but still produced good sized heads which were followed by sideshoots when cut.  I'd recommend successional sowing though as I had a glut!

17/10/2013 at 18:35
Tried "Vannessa" tomato in the greenhouse this year,wow,what an improvement on "Shirley",,withstood the heat better,cropped better and are still ripening with firm medium size tasty fruits, give them a go next year ,I am.
17/10/2013 at 19:30

I grew Crook neck courgettes this year not that impressed to many seeds  inside, I much rather grow Tromboncio courgetts they will last right up to new year if you let them ripen like squashes and pumpkins.

17/10/2013 at 20:22

I grew cucamelon. It produced lots of grape-sized cucumbers with attractive stripey skins. They taste like cucumber with a slightly sharp undertaste. It was very easy to grow and wasn't bothered by slugs and snails, which surprised me. I needed the space so I cleared the plants last week. I now have a box full of cucamelons which seem to keep well. I'll definitely grow them next year.

I've bought several veg recommended in James Wong's book, some of which were disappointing. With hindsight, I realise that a lot of them are flavouring rather than veg, and a lot seem to be used for various alcoholic drinks!

Monarda and Agastache grew beautifully but not good value for space in the veg plot.

Asparagus peas are pretty buy not worth growing to eat - too fiddly and low productivity for the space.

Electric daisies are pretty but unpleasant to eat.

I'm still waiting to harvest oca, dahlias and cannas (for their roots), but the dahlias produced some beautiful and unusual flowers. I'll keep these to flower next year but I don't yet know if they're worth eating!

I also trialled lettuce 'Interred' for Which?Garden. It's a dark red, small cos and I loved it. Tastes like a good cos, looks good and will produce new leaves when you cut the head. I had some seedlings left over which hung around in the greenhouse in modules, dried out several times to the point of wilting, yet stiil produced good heads without bolting when I finally planted them out after about 6 weeks. I could hardly have treated them worse and they grew like champions.

17/10/2013 at 21:01

Grew Cherry Tomato Matkoska, both in and out the greenhouse. The one's outside seemed to have a good resistance to Blight and both ripened early but still had a good long fruiting season. Will definitely grow these again as flavour is excellent.

17/10/2013 at 21:27

Tried 3 new chilli varieties (new to me anyway)

Stumpy, which is a mild chilli,  27 thousand Scoville heat units. This had been bred to fit windowcills as it doesn't grow much over 30cms with lots of lovely early fruiting cream chillies which go to orange then red. A very pretty houseplant that you can eat!

Fairy Lights, which is a medium chilli at 47 thousand Scovilles. This plant is unusual in that the flowers are purple as opposed to the normal white. The fruits are first a beautiful deep purple then gradually change to cream, then orange and finally red and because the flowers are pollinated at different times, there is a multicoloured effect of all 4 colours on the plant. A taller variety at around half a metre.

Finally, the Dorset Naga. I have been told that Naga in Malaysian means Dragon and I could well believe it as the Scoville heat rating is between 500 thousand and over 1 million Scovilles. It makes this chilli in the rankings for some of the world's hottest. In a large pot the D.N. will grow to over 1 metre and I have been told will reach up to 1.5 metres if put in the ground in a greenhouse. This plant belongs to Capsicum Chinense group of chillies, so has a very long growing season. I am still waiting for the green fruits to ripen before trying, but there will be a lot of bread and plain yoghurt on hand when I do.

All the above plants were grown this year from supplied seed and are short lived perennials, but they do need warmth to survive a British Winter.

17/10/2013 at 21:34

Sowed "Best of All" Swede this year, Fine large roots Taste very sweet. Used to sow "Brora" but these are a lot nicer.

17/10/2013 at 22:23

Greenjude 

You can cut back cucamelon like you do with dahlias and store them in a shed coverd with straw and then plant them next year when fear of frost has gone if you watch beechgrove garden on sunday morning you will find out 

18/10/2013 at 09:33

I grew  aubergines this year........started in greenhouse then outside..........fantastic cropping.

18/10/2013 at 11:19

We grew tomato Ferline F1 this year also swiss chard fantasy F1both very tasty

18/10/2013 at 14:25

have had the best crop of runner beans moonlight fantastic also have grown a tomato called celion every tmato has ripend and onley grown in a plastic grow house melvyn willetts cradley heath west midlands

19/10/2013 at 00:02

I grew Chinese Celery this year. I've never had much success with normal celery but these grew really well. Started off in cells then planted out. No trouble at all and still growing strong. Not really for eating raw but they have a lovely strong celery flavour for cooking. It makes lovely soups. I'll certainly be growing this again.

19/10/2013 at 07:26

Runner beans Wisley Magic, second year running - fabulous - a heavy crop of long straight beans, virtually stringless with a proper runner bean flavour.

Courgettes - wlll grow yellow Parador again next year as they cropped really well last year.  This year's Soleil were a disappointment.

Swiss Chard Lucullus - far superior to the glamourous coloured chards, both for cropping and flavour.

Old favourite broad beans Aquadulce Claudia - overwintered well in long snowy weather, so reliable with such a good flavour, and a good crop even after a cold  spring. 

24/10/2013 at 16:01

what is the best way to store runner beans.freeze. or dry.

24/10/2013 at 16:19

Thanks so much for all of your responses so far. It's great to hear how many of you are trying out new varieties. Please do keep posting new vegetable varieties that you've tried and liked. I'm keen to get as many responses as possible, to make the feature as comprehensive as I can.

Thank you.

Catherine Mansley 

1 to 20 of 21 messages