Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Which apple variety?

Hi,

I have a very mature tree in my garden of our house (c.1930) that I believe to be planted between 1930-1950.  The fruit is abundant and healthy but I would like some help identifying its variety - primarily for cider making!

The fruit starts off green and matures to a mix of green and red as shown.  The skin is not waxy, but more smooth.  There are fine stripes in the skin, with white dots and the taste is quite sweet at first, but then very bitter.  I haven't cooked with it yet so I don't know what the pulp is like.

The stem is always short and these are about 70% ready for picking judging by the inside (but a lot of windfall / excess fall at the moment).

Does anyone recognise this variety at all?

Regards,

Pete

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Think I've got that one in my garden. The land here used to be orchards before they built the Chiltern/Met line. Will be interested to find out what it is if anyone knows.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Your best bet is to visit an Apple Day in October and you will get an accurate identification.

If it is ready now you can narrow it down to an early apple therefore not a keeper.

If you want to make cider, it is perfectly possible to buy cider apple trees. Not for eating, they are incredibly sour.