Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

Supernoodle
Hello Doing some planning on my garden and where to eventually put some fruits. Found the below from "reads nursery.co.uk" and it surprised me. I thought it was the early morning sun that caused problem with thawing blossom. does everyone agree with it? Apricots like a well-drained soil with as much sun as possible. However, a south-facing site may result in the Apricot tree blossoming earlier than usual, exposing the Apricot to frost. An east-facing location or north slope can be much more beneficial as they are usually sheltered from the prevailing winds and benefit from the early morning sun, We do not recommend a west-facing site unless there is no other option
Supernoodle
Why does my spacing never work on first post????
Dovefromabove

My googling tells me that it's the degree of frost that does the damage, and I know of a modern apricot (either Flavourcot or Tomcot -not sure which) growing on a south-east wall which has fruited well for the past four years.

I'm planning to grow a Flavourcot against a south-east facing fence, but it has the added advantage of being sheltered to the east by mature ash trees - if they survive!

artjak

Have got an apricot in lean-to greenhouse on East facing wall; this is its' first year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it likes its' position.