London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
20 messages
Pdh
06/09/2012 at 07:47
Hi I'm pretty new to gardening so would like a little help please. I have a reasonably large garden mainly lawned but have 2 bordered off sections for flowers etc, this year I planted into them mainly bedding plants,but my trouble is that now (the first week in September) all the plants I planted are dead or very nearly,leaving it looking very dull. Could anyone help by naming plants I could plant to give me colour for longer,or plants to give me all year round colour and interest. Thank you for any help.
06/09/2012 at 08:21
Grasses are great value at this time of the year, some lovely red ones. Heleniums, phlox, echinacea, seems still flowering now.
06/09/2012 at 08:21
Sorry that should stay sedums!
Pdh
06/09/2012 at 08:41
Thank you for your advice, when is the best time to buy and plant?
06/09/2012 at 09:41

If you like strong (gaudy) colours dahlias are a good option. You can buy them in March and they should flower from July to the frosts.

If you want to grow flowers from seed Cosmos are good for late colour, they also do a great white.

I also have some salvias, verbena, gaura, dianthus,zinnias,lobelia cardinalis still flowering. All planted in the spring.

Pdh
06/09/2012 at 10:02
Thank you Kate for all your help
06/09/2012 at 11:49

Japanese anemones are flowering now as are chelone (good for damp soils), physostegia, sedums, phlox and hardy geraniums.    Caryopteris and perovskia are in full blue bloom now, both are small to medium shrubs which get cut back each spring to renew vigour so they don't get too big.   My hemerocallis are still flowering and heleniums, helianthemums and Michaelmas daisies are great for late season colour.

06/09/2012 at 12:00

.... and in addition to all of those, you might like to think about some plants to give colour (and provide nectar for bees) during the Spring, because they may need to be planted now.

Pdh
06/09/2012 at 14:49
Gary such as? Any advice is well appreciated with me being a noviice.

Obelixx thank you have noted your suggestions. And what makes it more appealing is the shrub suggestion at least they come yearly.
Thank you all xxxxxx
06/09/2012 at 15:06

Snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils, hellebores, winter pansies and violas, winter flowering heathers, sarcococca (winter box with scented flowers) and no doubt many more but these are easily available and the bulbs can go in now, under your other new stuff.

06/09/2012 at 15:10

Plants for spring could be Lunaria, Wallflowers, Hellebores or spring bulbs, daffodils,snowdrops. You may wish to invest in a winter flowering shrub like Mahonia, Viburnum, Skimmia or an evergreen climber like Clematis Freckles.

Do you have a theme for your garden?

Pdh
06/09/2012 at 15:21
Kate I'm sorry to say I haven't a theme mainly because I'm new to this gardening since retiring, my garden was mainly a lawn but now it is broken up a little with 2 beds for some flowers, but as I've said now colourless due to my ignorance really. But thanks to you wonderfull people have a list to try and make sure it isn't like this again. I will have to get my new greenhouse working raising these plants etc.
Again I can't thank you all enough.xxx
06/09/2012 at 15:44

I did not mean a theme in a posh designer way,  I had a friend who bought one of every plant recommended and I have to say it looked very odd. To make your garden look nice you will need something to tie it together. That could be grasses, hebes, box or lavenders. Some people choose a colour theme

06/09/2012 at 15:57

too much of a novice to advise i'm just taking all the tips on board for future reference

06/09/2012 at 18:09

I have very few flowers in my garden but always have colour from penstemon (deep red to lilac - mid to late summer), heuchera (black, orange, lime green - all year round) and hellebore (green, pink, white - winter) Also, grasses are excellent for giving year-long interest.

06/09/2012 at 18:31
Firstly, find out what type of soil you have. A very cheap soil tester will tell you,if you have acid soil or alkaline soil. Once you know, look around garden centres say once a month and buy something,that looks good for that season. Shrubs for scent in the winter, for example. Plant different bulbs, daffodils are good safe choice. Put in some wallflowers for the winter and spring. Try to get an idea of what you might want....size of shrubs for example. Plants that,die down in the winter can be moved and changed easily and split to make bigger impact, etc. just be patient. A couple of nice autumn flowering plants are chrysanthemums and asters. See if you,like them and pop them in. 2 or 3 shrubs too for the winter with evergreen foliage for you to enjoy and inspire you. You can always change things around when you learn more later but it can be fun just trying.
Pdh
06/09/2012 at 18:58
Thanks for good advice christopher
06/09/2012 at 19:10

in my borders, ive gaillardias, heleniums, rudbeckia goldstrum, rudbeckia marmalade, callendula, phlox, verbena bonariensis, lithrum,sweet williams, cosmos, coreopsis, primroses ,japanese anenome,globe thistle and quite a few more, but im proud to say ive grown them all, took some doing trying to have colour in garden all year round, i dont have many bulbs in garden apart from alliums, big globe purple colouring which flowers june right next to my delphinium and campanula, ive tried one end of garden all yellow then blending oranges rushick browns then reds, pinks,blues and purples

06/09/2012 at 19:28

Penstemons, fuchsias and phlox are all easy to propagate from cuttings and they all flower from June to October

22/09/2012 at 22:20

I would suggest looking in other peoples gardens nearby. See what grows well in your area and you can see how big they get and whether you actually like them. If you take photos of them your garden centre or perhaps a gardener friend can tell you what they are. Look in charity shops for some gardening books too or perhaps the library. I can grow pinks and lavender in my new house but at my old house - 40 miles away - I couldn't.

email image
20 messages