Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Crazy Paving Problem

We have some craxy paving and there are lots of gaps in it with weed.  An attempt was made by the previous owner to fix it but it appears either the pointing was not deep enough or that incorrect mix was used or that the expansion and contraction has caused a problem. 

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on this ?  I have cleared the weeds, cement and mud in between the stones, however was worried about filling it in and them having the same problem again due to expansion / contraction. 

Is this something that happens or was the pointing just bad to begin with to allow the weeds and grass to come through ?

thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Crazy paving is often traditionally designed to have these gaps to allow small plants to grow in them - little creeping thymes which emit pleasant scents when you walk on them are favourites. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Unless you've laid the crazy paving on a solid base (concrete) it will always move and break at the seams and weeds will come through. Get your choice of plants in the gaps as Dove suggests. Grass is another possibility if it's flat. Mow it with the lawnimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

This looks lovely 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

That will do nicely Doveimage

• thanks, most of the pictures looks like the Gaps are filled in, though I hear what you are saying and makes perfect sense.

http://www.drivewayblitz.com/image/Crazy-Paving.jpg

Assuming this is on a concrete base, will a sand cement pointing mix do it ? Or will the weeds still grow.

The only other thing I was thinking off was to remove all the paving and put down a membrane of some sort to stop the weeds then fill the gaps with cement ?

There are too many dandelions in the gaps and I cant keep them under control plus its a large area - at least 800 - 1000 sq ft...

In your photo you can see quite clearly the cracks between the slabs and the pointing.

Is that your paving in the photo?

• No that is one I picked up, I will put a photo of our one tomorrow in the light - see if that will give some inspiration..

I'm glad that's not yours doo little.

I think it looks awful. If you do decide to point up, avoid that dead level with the slabs appearance.

Often a sand/cement mix is brushed in dry and it sort of sets there. I'm not the person to advise on that sort of thing though. I keep an OH for thatimage

• Doo little, I don't have crazy paving, but I have a concrete path that has sunk and split, so looks a little like crazy paving. It was full of weeds etc, so after weeding the gaps, I filled them with lawn chamomile and it spread really easily, needs no maintenance and smells amazing when you walk on it. I also have a few dandelions growing in the gaps. I just cut the stalks off to stop them flowering.

Or try this, my parents paving is filled with dandelions, they wait for them to flower harvest them and make dandelion wine. image