London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 8°C
9 messages
02/04/2013 at 12:44

Hi

I am thinking about growing some Eryngium, like Blue sea holly. I have a south facing garden and would like to place them in a border. Has anyone else grown these and what were your experinces of the height and width?

I was inspired by seeing them in a florist and they really do look fantastic.

02/04/2013 at 13:07

Sounds like you have a good spot. I have some in my garden. They easily get over 1-1.5 metres. Add grit to the planting hole and place at the back of the border. Apart from good sun and drainage and cutting them down nowish then they are easy.

02/04/2013 at 16:18

As Blairs says but there are some dwarf ones, I think called Blue Hobbit which only grow to about 6 inches.

02/04/2013 at 16:53
Thy are vicious plants though so keep away from young fingers. I think they are best behind something else...thymus silver Posie, a lovely silver mound for example.
Depending on variety they usually like good drainage and plenty of sun.
Get a good variety.. A true perennial like Bourgatti not a biennial, it will grow 45 cm and form tight erect steel foliage and flowers from mid summer
Cut down about now
Lyn
03/04/2013 at 21:16
Ooo! Punk, is that how tall the blue hobbit should be, i bought 3 plugs last year and they were over 2 feet tall.
03/04/2013 at 21:45
Lyn, I've grown them and they were less than. 30 cm tall. Aren't they a cultivated form of the wild eryngium grown on cliff edges, Towans, etc. that grow only 10 cm?
You sure they were blue hobbitt?
Lyn
04/04/2013 at 18:52
They were labelled hobbit, thats why i bought them, i put them in the front of the border and they looked a bit silly. Could i dig them up now and move them, Verdun?
04/04/2013 at 22:35
I think if they are hobbitt yes you can move them. Eryngiums form tap roots usually and don't like to be moved. However I have and do. Try to get good rootball but decide first where you want them dig that hole and get them in again without much ado.
I take risks moving plants all the time but usually get away with it!
Lyn
04/04/2013 at 23:16
Great, thank you Verdun, i will do that tomorrow, they are up about 4inches at the moment.
email image
9 messages