London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
3 messages
22/03/2014 at 11:29

Hello,

I recently had a quote for an espalier beech hedge. I initially laughed then cried inside when I heard the price. So, possibly very stupidly decided to try and do something myself.

I have a low garden wall (approx. 18") and I want to grow a hedge so that it looks to be sitting neatly on top of the wall from the outside.

I have been advised to use Photinia Red Robin. However, I have some reservations. I suspect it will be difficult to keep it 'neat' as I understand it likes to be kept 'natural'. I also believe that it doesn't like being kept to a narrow footprint (I only really want it 5' wide so it doesn't take up too much garden). 

Is Photinia Red Robin a good idea and how close can it be planted to the wall (I am considering getting 'instant hedge' in a troughs). Total hedge length is 13 meters.

Any insights?

22/03/2014 at 11:35

Photinias can be iffy Danstar - many threads on here relating to the issues. Do you want an evergreen hedge or does that not matter?

Instant hedging will be very expensive too - whatever variety you go for!

22/03/2014 at 11:37

Hi Dan

I'm sure an already espaliered hedge would be expensive but beech hedging plants won't be. You can do your own training.

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Hedging__Trees__Shrubs___Conifers_A_B_3.html

It's nearly the end of bare-root despatching time though

email image
3 messages