London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
7 messages
27/03/2014 at 19:24
Is there a fast (ish) growing hedging plant that will be easy to keep and will grow up rather than out? I'm looking for something that is low maintenance as my neighbour complains if branches go out into her area. My neighbours look over my fence, but I don't have enough space for a wide plant like eleagnus. The soil is thick clay, its pretty dry and in a sunny spot. Suggestions please, thank you, freckled hen!
27/03/2014 at 21:44

Most hedging plants grow up and out, they have to be clipped to keep them in bounds. Fast growers will need clipping even more often.

I can't think of anything that would go up quickly without spreading sideways.

A fence maybe, with climbers on your side?

28/03/2014 at 14:08

An upright form of Ilex Crenata?

28/03/2014 at 14:12

Could you add some trellis on your side to give more height for the climbers that nut suggests?

As a hedge, I can only think of things like Pyracantha which will grow against your fence happily.

And the nosy neighbours will get a face full of prickles to keep them away...

28/03/2014 at 20:36
Unfortuately my neighbout put the fence up and is protective of it, I'm pretty convinced shed be very unhappy with attachments to it. I've even considered attaching trellis to a structure in planters next to the fence..or even wigwams and planters.

I'll have a look at the pyracanthia.

Thank you so much for you responses..maybe plastic instant plants like fake bamboo will suffice..anything to stop the rude looks and comments.
28/03/2014 at 21:18

There's nothing to stop you erecting your own 'trellis fence'  http://www.wickes.co.uk/fence-panel-trellis-square-lattice-6x6ft/invt/541004/ alongside the fence on your side of the boundary - you can then grow clematis, honeysuckle and roses up your own trellis and that will give you loads of privacy 

28/03/2014 at 22:06

Really a sad state of affairs, when you have difficult neighbours.  Of course you could suggest to your neighbour, that they have the legal right, to cut back any trespassing branch etc.  However they must returnthe cu-off to you.

A problem most encountered here is.  We always tend to plant far too close to the dividing line.  If possible.  Prior to planting.  Read up onthe possible height and spread of your subject.  Then plant accordingly.  Perhaps as a suggestion.  A laural hedge.  If left for a while.  Laurels will grow straight up.  Usually it is only after a long time or cutting back, that they will branch out.  Nauty thought by Mike.  From your side of the hedge.  You can do what you like.  At the same time, if left untouched.  You will look out upon a bright grren hedge.  Next door.  Should they take to cutting back.  Their view will be,  Well not that very attractive.  Perhaps I should change my name.  Mike, the cunning old fox!!!!

email image
7 messages