Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

I have this exact variety in my back-garden !

Has proven to be very tolerant of full-sunshine (which is quite unusual) providing the soil is moist . Even now (12-years on) , my wife sprays it regularly (with water) on warm days .

Fortunately I have a neutral to slightly acidic soil which suits these trees eminently . I always (as a young tree) used only rainwater , but during dry spells it responded well to pretty hard tapwater (pH 8.9) !!

I prune mine lightly every 2nd year just to keep it in a tidy state , and it doesn't seem to mind at all .

All in all an excellent and well recommended choice of Acer ; purplish red leaves throughout the growing season then turn a fiery red in the Autumn .

Enjoy .

PS  I don't think they like clay soils .

PPS  Never let it become dry , not even for a couple of days ; leaf curl and drop will result .

Doghouse Riley

Japanese maples can really enhance a garden. They don't need a lot of care apart from watering. They do have  some branches dying off  and the ends of some others in the autumn, but they're always producing new growth. We have a variety that spreads rather than grows tall. They suit our small garden best.

So plants that look like this at this time of the year.

Will look like this in the summer and be a credit to your garden for very little effort.

Doghouse Riley

Nice!!!!

Advertisement

Many Acer fans on here. Ideally they need the environment of their native Japanese woodland - so semi-shade, sheltered, well-drained and well-watered. My red Acer does fine in a south-facing aspect, although it is not usually advised. 

Doghouse Riley
AuntyRach says:

Many Acer fans on here. Ideally they need the environment of their native Japanese woodland - so semi-shade, sheltered, well-drained and well-watered. My red Acer does fine in a south-facing aspect, although it is not usually advised. 

See original post

Mine too..

Our garden is south facing, on really hot days, if I'm home, sometimes I give them a "mist" spray around 2.00pm. We really get any burnt leaves.

NewBoy2

Thanks friends

What preparation did you do before planting.

? Manure..compost....seaweed

? Do I need to stake it

? Anything else

Doghouse Riley

All mine ever get is the dregs from the koi pool pump sump, after I've purged the bottom drain, once a week and they have to share it with the rest of the azaleas and rhodos in the garden. It's usually about a couple of gallons of fish poo-ee water which is slightly acidic.

Last edited: 27 November 2017 17:38:09

NewBoy2

I laid some horse manure on top of the soil where I am going to plant the acer BEFORE I decided to plant it

? Should i scrape the manure off or leave it to be taken down by the worms

? If I leave it does it matter when i plant after its all disappeared

Borderline

If you have laid fresh manure, then wait for around 2 months for it to rot down. Totally up to you whether you want to work it all in, or leave along the top layer. If it's rotted stuff, then mix it all into the soil and maybe leave some for the top layer too, but it really doesn't matter.