Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Not sure what to do with this space.

I have quite a romantic looking garden.  I like close planting, cottage garden style plants with lots of perfume.  I have one spot in the garden that Im having problems with because of overhanging conifers.  I can't remove them because of privacy issues.  Most of them I have underplanted successfully but one area is crying out for a focal point to lift it.  I have seen a statue that I like, it's a large stone fairy that I think would looke quite nice but before I spend the money I wondered if anyone else had any good ideas for the spot.

It's the space behind the blue delphinium .

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Yvie - I think that would be a lovely idea When can I move in? image

Seriously - it's a good spot for it, and the ivy and other little bits and bobs would grow round it and over it.You can then tweak them as time goes on. A small uplighter would be a good addition too - carefully positioned to just highlight it image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Well chosen statues are fine.  They can be used to fill an awkward spot or give a focal point or contrast with and thus set off other textures, colours and shapes be they plants or other hard landscaping.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • A lovely stone birdbath is another option for that pretty spot image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I think statues look great, other than gnomes image Is that tiarella in the front?

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Lou its a Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink'.  Dove I already have a stone birdbath in the centre bed so that's not an option.  Verdun, it's a lot deeper than it looks, a bit like an ivy cave.  Plants other than Ivy and Vinca would probably not survive there. Thanks for your input you really are a lovely lot.  I really love those wire fairies but I'm afraid the bank balance wouldn't run to one of those.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Friends of mine have a similar dark spot backed by deep purple foliaged sambuccas.  They've put a  white statue in there and it looks great.  

If budget is a problem, try a large white or cream pot on a plinth and plant it with pale variegated ivies to trail down and seasonal upright bulbs and plants for contrast and variety.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I love staues in the garden, just got this one for a birthday present.

Would he look nice there? That's a very pretty corner.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I think a fairy statue would look lovely there, brighten up a dark spot and it's romantic and suits your beautiful garden.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I think a fairy would look great there too .....and you can keep the grandchildren amused with stories about how she ended up thereimage