London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
41 to 49 of 49 messages
10/04/2013 at 13:07

Love to see that Euphorbia again Salino. I managed to keep one for 3 years but not now. Evensome of my hardier ones have given up this winter.

10/04/2013 at 13:08
Nice photo Salino
Mellifera has wonderful scent too
10/04/2013 at 13:51

Verd-you old devil...not sure I'm ethereal at all but nice of you to say so!

Salino-you're right about the character in The Sting! I have to say it's Paul Newman I love rather than Mr Redford!! What are your thoughts on Chris Beardshaw and Paul Hollywood!!! Us ladies on here are getting all misty eyed over the 2 of them!

Sorry Verd-off topic I know

Getting coat etc.........

10/04/2013 at 13:58

Salino-Have just received catalogue from hedge supplier and inside is a list of all the roses they also sell with some of the ones that I like (ie crushed silk and velvet) They say 'Falstaff' can be grown as a small climber so maybe you can convert me yet!!

10/04/2013 at 14:37

hi Fairygirl,

Paul Hollywood can make me a cottage loaf anytime he likes, or a large baguette even...

Chris B doesn't do a lot for me... perhaps not musclebound enough...

oh dear, let me continue...

I've not grown 'Falstaff' rose, I've heard it's a bit lanky and prone to black spot but don't let that put you off.   A shorter variety is 'Prospero' that looks much the same and has a wonderful scent... but it doesn't climb...

I've had mixed experiences with Austin roses.  A few I like, a lot haven't done well for me, considering the price we pay for them, and I've dug out any number... I think they need time to develop.... and can be disappointing in early years...  just my experience there... however I have a couple of his climbers that I love very much including a gorgeous pink one called 'Mortimer Sackler', it has a nice scent to go with it, and is relatively thornless....

I'm converting you, I know I am.... just know it...

10/04/2013 at 14:43
Matty2 wrote (see)

Salino, I think you are a ttrue plantswoman. The pictures last night and your knowledge are really great. I look forward to hearing and seeing more of your wonderful garden

..I'm most flattered Matty, thank you so much...

nutcutlet/verdun,

I'm so glad you like my Euphorbia.  I'm amazed it survives here really, we've had down to

-12  on occasions.  It's freezing wind that does the damage though, so it struggles on.  Every year I fear for it.   

It's got flower buds forming so I hope to see it in it's glory very shortly when the weather improves...

at Abbotsbury sub tropical gardens in Dorset, on the coast, there was a plant all of 15 foot tall of this, of course they have the climate for it there...

anyone been to those gardens...? lovely tea room to go with it...

10/04/2013 at 20:17
Superb garden Salino!!! Thanks for sharing the pics...... and your personal memories! I'm loving the huge Euphorbia!! I can see that this will be on my 'Want' list I have several places where this would be quite striking as I'm a sucker for foliage and texture!

Rgds
Adam
10/04/2013 at 20:17

A woman that likes a tea room/cake and Paul Hollywood and knows lots about plants...welcome Salino!!

I could almost be persuaded about the roses...will have to get some support on the fence first and remove the gravel at the foot of it and beef up the ground underneath so that I can get some climbers in!

Although there's always pots in the meantime 

10/04/2013 at 21:21
...you have some digging to do, always a pleasant pastime I find... thinking of a nice man whilst doing so, is always a bonus I think...

Shadoweaver wrote (see)
Superb garden Salino!!! Thanks for sharing the pics...... and your personal memories! I'm loving the huge Euphorbia!! I can see that this will be on my 'Want' list I have several places where this would be quite striking as I'm a sucker for foliage and texture!

Rgds
Adam

..very nice of you to say so Adam, thank you...  I hope to see some of your favourite plants in due course...  I love foliage plants too,  with some exceptions like Acanthus mollis and Fatsia Japonica,  I know some people love them, but they've never done it for me at all, in any way....

don't know why...

email image
41 to 49 of 49 messages