London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
4 messages
16/10/2013 at 12:35

Hello Fellow gardeners.

In your opinion would you buy new (bearing in mind some of the poor quality products at the lower end costs), or refurbish metal/ alloy tables & chairs and general garden furniture.

Looking at the costs of around £200.00 to refurbishing a typical set of 4 chairs and 1 table that comes with a five year anti corrosion warranty surly it would pay in the long run to have them sorted over buying new.

We purchased a set two years ago and all the paint is peeling off. I guess it's a lack of care, preparation and poor paint that has given rise to this problem

Looking around at some local powder coaters I have found one in Heybridge Essex who say that after careful blast cleaning and using the correct materials they offer a five year warranty in any standard "ral colour" even if the said parts are left out all year round.

So getting to the point has anyone else had this done and what were the results.

Thanks 

16/10/2013 at 15:02

My dad is very fond of using a wire brush to remove flaking stuff, then a coat of hammerite. It seems to work.

17/10/2013 at 21:52

I agree with fb, do it yourself.. Rather less than £200.

17/10/2013 at 23:52

I have just done up an old, heavy park type bench bought for a song from a flea market.

Scrubbed and sanded wooden seat and now covered in 2 layers of varnish - didn't want to use oll . Took a wire brush to the metal ends (£! from flea market) and scrubbed it, bought a tin of Hammerite and I am really pleased with the end result, doing up cost about less than £30 and a great deal of satisfaction  

Have now bought a solid old decorative metal table and 2 chairs set from same place - just what I wanted, trying to decide whether to leave it fashionably rusty or do it up. Will decide next year - cost at moment £50

email image
4 messages