London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
9 messages
17/04/2014 at 16:37

I've recently dug up my garden to turn it into a veg patch. This has left me with a pile of clay, rocks, roots, and soil. Rather than take it to the tip, I was thinking of covering it with decent soil and planting flowers and plants on it. 

Can anyone recommend flowers and plants that will grow on this? It gets only a couple of hours of sunlight at the moment too. 

Thanks! 

17/04/2014 at 16:40

Not worth trying Michael - take it to the tip.  You might get some nasturtiums to sprawl over it for a few months of the year, but just think how awful it'd look the rest of the time.

Sorry.

17/04/2014 at 17:53

Hummm

It a large part that's what my garden is made of. Formerly under enormous willows as well

The basis is former gravel diggings, long channels from the horse and cart era.

The previous owner wanted these filled and encouraged everyone, locals, builders, the farmer, to dump and fill. Some fortunately was soil.

Digging here is known as rock mining, I try and get at least a fork's depth with the half bricks, concrete, broken asbestos, plastic toys, removed

We shifted the plastic to the tip and most of the carpets. The large lumps of concrete made steps and a 'rockery'. Scrap metal made sculptures.

Things grow, choose the plants to fit what you've got. Get some more topsoil if needed. Make the most of what you have

17/04/2014 at 17:57

The difference between a heap of rubble, clay and roots and your garden is immense Nut.  Your garden may have all those things, but it is not a small heap - a pile of topsoil over a heap of rubble etc will just look like a dog's grave, in my humble opinion. 

17/04/2014 at 18:02

I have lived in my property for over 13 years and am still digging up glass from milk bottles, nails, woods and all sorts.  Think the last people must have buried things over the years.

17/04/2014 at 18:07

People used to didn't they Susan? Out last house had crockery, glass, and old clay pipes (the smokers' variety), by the dozen. Now we sent it on a cart and it's all buried in a big pit

17/04/2014 at 19:19

When we moved into our house nearly 30 years ago. We excavated a 3ft high bank against the hedge which had been used as the 'midden' for Lord knows how many years and gained an extra 4ft of garden.  This was eventually used for the flagged path to the greenhouse. We also discovered what could have been the remains of an old anderson shelter, a well or something to do with a coal mine (we live in Wales), it was covered by corrugated iron sheets and angle iron, so we just left it , covered it over and put the green house on top.  One of these days I might just disappear while potting on tomatoes!!

25/04/2014 at 23:40

The clay, rocks and soil aren't particularly the problem. The roots would be, as they're likely to grow into plants you don't want, so I'd get as many of those out as you can.

You could give it over to wildlife, in which case there are 3 plants I know that are pretty much indestructible -  at least in my garden. These are Aquilegia, Californian poppies, and (holding breath here) Nettles. The Aquilegia and Poppies are loved by bees - at least the yellow poppies are, and the Nettles are loved by butterflies amongst others. See http://www.nettles.org.uk/nettles/wildlife.asp.

I keep the nettles and Aquilegia under control, but let the poppies seed themselves.

Bal
29/04/2014 at 11:03

The nettles would make great tea for fertiliser.

email image
9 messages