Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Shed tiles...

Sorry to bore everyone with the ongoing shed saga, does anyone have any opinion on the use of red cedar roof tiles vs recycled plastic ones?

I am loathe to put a link in as I don't want to look like spam.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It won't look like spam Steve.

We know you as a forum member not a spammerimage

There were cedar shingles on our house roof when we moved in. Been there 30 years and leaking like a sieve. But they looked very thin and I've seen chunkier ones than that on other buildings. 

I think they'd age for gracefully than plastic.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Can't help with the Q Steve but your threads are never boring.

• That's what I am wondering, price quoted for the shingles is several hundred quid BUT the plastic ones are nearly a hundred quid per square metre anyway and a bit of maths suggests the savings won't be that huge...

• Why, thank you Zoomer! image

I know what cedar shingles look like but I can't picture the plastic ones

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Well I think the red cedar are going to look nicer Steve for sure. Maybe the plastic might be a bit cheaper but like you say,perhaps not much. How about roofing felt? image

• We are splurging a lot on this so we can use the greenhouse part as a bit of outdoor space too so looks are going to matter. Hence, no felt! image

Or those imitation slates, that Eternit used to make and are now Marley (I think)

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I'd say go for the cedar. When all is said and done,traditional quarry tiles or concrete ones (and of course real slate) will always knock anything else into a tin hat. That's more to do with our damp climate though...whereas in Canada and the US its normally either very hot or very cold. Not so much prolonged damp like we get here. The wooden ones look very nice though image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

No probs Steve... image