Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

shrubs

granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I am looking for a shrub to brighten up a corner. At the bottom of our garden  In shade to part shade.the soil is dry sandy peaty mixture.it is a large border of shrubs but they are a mass of just dark greens .so it looks dull and boring.I have already a tall pine tree in the corner , a dog wood .a st John's wort and a skimmia.

.with it being at the bottom corner of half an acre of lawn it looks dull .I am looking for some type of shrub that will brighten it up preferably evergreen I think and not necessarily  a flower ing shrub. The hehe on the boundry I'd a mix of sloe and Hawthorne.the garden backs onto fields.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Amelanchier (pretty white blossom), aucuba japonica (spotted leaves), kerria (yellow blossom). Maybe a choisya (yellow leaves) may do. How about a eucalyptus if kept pollarded?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

What about a variegated euonymus? Otherwise Choisya "Sundance", has golden leaves.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd agree with BL - Euonymous would be very happy there.

Some of the Eleagnus are evergreen and would be fine in the less shady areas. There are ones with silvery tones which would brighten up the spot as a change to the more usual golds and yellows. I also have Lonicera in shady areas. There are quite a few golden varieties. I have one called Golden Glow and in shade it's a nice bright emerald green which is very eye catching.  You can clip it into shapes as it's like box, or leave it as a more informal shape. Don't rule out Hydrangeas because although they're deciduous you can pick ones for earlier flowering and then have ones which flower just now. White ones would be the perfect option for shade. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Thanks everyone there are some good suggestions there.going to scroll the pages for variegated leaves .

Please keep the suggestions coming in .gran x

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Not with the euonymus that I have, one is gold and green, the other is silver and green.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I have Euonymous Blondie (cream and green) which has bigger foliage than Emerald Gaiety, and has been at the foot of a north facing fence for a year without a problem. I've moved it to an even shadier spot and it looks really smart. So far so good image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...