London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
22/08/2013 at 19:30

I at last found a place here that has the large lions laying down (approx 2 feet high & 4 feet long, solid "concrete" and ver heavy,

Ive really fallen for two of these,

While i was inspecting these two my wife said come and see what ive found,

A male statue "nude" its called the thinker,

who the hell would want such a statue "hanging about the Lawn"  (excuse the pun)

I'd like your thoughts on this subject, would you like to spend your days looking at the thinker with all his bits on display, or a creature of pure leadership, mustle, no fear shown (and both have parts if thats what your after) ?

Replies please as soon as poss as i have to order the statue and wait for delivery.

22/08/2013 at 19:42

The thinker is a beautiful figure by Rodin,in the right setting I think it would add to any garden.

Any parts as you put it are not relevant in  either the figure or the lions.

Personally I would pick the statue over the lions any day,after all you are not creating Trafalgar Square are you?

22/08/2013 at 19:58

Perhaps they could manufacture some Paul Hollywood statues for us ladees...one of those would be good Gilly wouldn't it??? 

22/08/2013 at 19:59

I'm a Leo, so I would choose the lions!

22/08/2013 at 20:27

I'd get a thinker and balance him on an old lavatory pan and put the two lions in front of him watching how he's getting on.

22/08/2013 at 20:29

My 2 goblins, cheeky and grumpy arrive tomorrow - so excited.I'd go with the statue. In fact just have both! Nothing wrong with cake and eating it

22/08/2013 at 21:09

Paul Hollywood statues Fairygirl............just right for us ladees,

Sean Connery figures would be good too

22/08/2013 at 21:12

wb- that made me laugh out loud!

Perhaps we could have a range of Chris Beardshaw ones as well. 

22/08/2013 at 21:15

Now you,re talking Fairygirl.............

22/08/2013 at 21:29

It's all down to personal choice but for me, unless you have a stately home, lions and similar heraldic symbols look absolutely ridiculous.  Just round the corner from where I live is a 3 bedroom semi with lions holding shields on each gatepost.  Surely the architectural / gardening equivalent of the full chav look.

22/08/2013 at 21:39

Whatever gets you through, KT53.

I draw the line at windchimes, the gardening equivalent of waterboarding.

22/08/2013 at 22:15

Hi and thanks for your help,

KT53? I nearly bought an old red telephone box to put outside the driveway gates but the cost of the box and transport put me off,

But so far the lions are in front they'll be put at the roman end of the pool,

22/08/2013 at 23:38

OH wants a "nymph surprised whilst bathing"   I said I'd put some clothes on her & definitely a scarf & woolly hat in the winter. But then we haven't got a pond so I think it's a non-starter!

Fairygirl wrote (see)

Perhaps we could have a range of Chris Beardshaw ones as well. 

Now you're talkin' girl!!  He can come & turn my compost any time.....

23/08/2013 at 09:43

Jeannie 

One of my neighbours got excited once when I said I was thinking of putting some 'naked ladies' in the garden....he didn't realise they were autumn crocus...

23/08/2013 at 17:38
Fairygirl wrote (see)

One of my neighbours got excited once when I said I was thinking of putting some 'naked ladies' in the garden....he didn't realise they were autumn crocus...

You little tease, you!!

23/08/2013 at 17:41

Not to mention the Big Boy tomatoes...

23/08/2013 at 17:51

wb 

Jeannie- you can't resist that kind of thing can you!

23/08/2013 at 18:27

goblins haven't arrived. Grrrrr. Arranged to leave behind gate, seller OK'd but now courier says need signature. So gotta rearrange.

27/08/2013 at 08:56

I missed reading this one, what fun! I don't think I'd like lions or a "Thinker". I'd rather have something more natural, like a deer. I have real deer but we had to fence parts of the garden as they thought it was a deer cafeteria! A deer statue would look pretty but not eat my plants.

Chris Beardshaw is gorgeous, but I wouldn't want a statue of him. Don't suppose OH would care for it either!

27/08/2013 at 09:28

Hi,

Yes we have deer here also, but i think if i had a deer statue "it's a bit like having an OAP's home and opposit a cemitary, to look at,

the local deer would see a statue of themselves and think "next stop a staute"

Would your OH? like a "Jordon" look a like or a Dolly parton...,?

1 to 20 of 28 messages