Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where do you grow your Allium's?

granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Just been copying a border plan from gardeners world program they use alliums as underplanting . I thought these had to be in the sun  ,  what experiances has others had  please  with alliums ?

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

The thing about alliums such as A. hollandicum Purple Sensation  is that by the time they are in flower the leaves are dying back and look tatty, so the best place to place them is in full sun but behind low perennials such as geraniums, heucheras etc or underplanting them with low growers such as forgetmenots, that will hide the dying leaves. They prefer full sun but most will do ok in light or dappled shade

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They do seem to put up with a lot. They seed themselves about and some of them end up in the shade.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I just bung them in where I need height before the delphiniums get going.

Those beige/brown jobs that used to be called alliums and aren't anymore. They grow well in shade and their name will come to me soon if nobody else comes uip with it

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

They are not called Fritilleries  are they ?  I used to think these were alliums till I saw them called Fritilleries  ( sorry not spelt it right , hope you know what I mean ) If you dont mean these I look forward to kno.wing what they are , always open to new ideas

They used to be Allium siculum. Give me anther few minutes and the current name will come.

• ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 371

are  you thinking Nectaroscordium Nutcutlet?

That's the one ladygardener. Thank you. They do very nicely in shade.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Thankyou so much for remembering, Ive checked them up  and yes they will do lovely , under the holly tree isnt in full shade  so Im open for suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• Fritillaries are native meadow flowers and do well in some sun (mine are part sun scattered around mature shrubs). They wouldn't like full shade. 

Are you wanting more suggestions for other partial shade loving plants?