London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
25/10/2012 at 21:01

I was given a fab plant at the start of the year, ready potted up for me.  After some reading up I believe that it is a 'Vicia Sativa' or 'Comman Vetch' plant.  Its been a joy to have outside my back door all summer, producing soft leaves and lovely blue flowers.  Its a bit clingy, like a pea plant.  I haven't seen or heard of it before, but I would love to have some more plants like it. I think its a perennial.

Do any one here have one?  Maybe you could tell me how to propagate it? Can I take cuttings? and if so any tips on doing this please.I can't find any seeds being sold for it.

I'm new here today, and this is my first post. I hope I've done this post ok

regards Joy H

25/10/2012 at 21:41

Dear Joy H, You have certainly done your post ok; I have only been posting for a short time myself and it seems to be quite a painless process; re your vetch, I believe it is used as animal fodder, you could either gather seeds or go online and buy them. I don't know about cuttings.

25/10/2012 at 21:51

If it is common vetch it is an annual. You should be able to collect seeds from it. It is often considered to be a weed, but it is used as green manure or animal fodder. Have you a photo?

26/10/2012 at 11:19

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm working on getting a photo for you to see it.

As for collecting seeds from it, I couldn't, there wasn't any.  I expected pod like seeds as you would get from a pea, but they never materalised. Yes I do believe its also used for animal fodder, but I promised you its the prettiest plant in my garden.  I'm off to work on that photo.

regards joy

26/10/2012 at 17:02

I too think it's a very pretty plant, it is a very good self seeder though so I don't think you will have too much trouble with growing it next year, as new plants should pop back up themselves. It arrived in my mother in laws garden this year having fallen out of the bird feed mix she was buying.

26/10/2012 at 19:24

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15242.jpg?width=185&height=272&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15243.jpg?width=194&height=259&mode=max

Here it is.

regards joy

26/10/2012 at 20:33

Didn't know what a vetch was until reading this thread and then I saw the pictures

Really pretty wild flowers, does anyone know if they have any benefits to insects?

27/10/2012 at 15:25

The bees seem to like them, but I can't remember seeing any butterflies around them. I'm pleased you like them, they are so lovely.

email image
8 messages