Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Achillea struggling

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I bought some achillea last year on the basis it likes light, well draining soil, which is definitely what I have.  I thought it would thrive, but its really struggled.  Whether it is slugs ravishing it when it is growing but it just seems a bit of a nothing plant, unlike the plant i bought last year.

My soil is light sandy soil, in full sun / partial shade, south facing.  Can you think of any reason's it hasn't thrived...

I put a manure mulch on in the spring to feed everything.  Should I do a seaweed feed to give everything a boost.

Any ideas gratefully received.  Thank you.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

It probably do better next year when it's settled down a bit more, I wouldn't feed it at all.It's more of a weed,treat it mean image

Last edited: 01 July 2016 19:33:41

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

the manure won't have been good for it, those plants that like well drained soil don't appreciate that. and we've had a lot of rain here, that's not so good either.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Friends of mine grow this in well composted, well drained terraced beds.   It doesn't do well in the beds but self seeds and grows with gay abandon in the gravel paths.

Don't cosset it with extra food and watering.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

Ha ha that's what happened to mine. Grew ok in beds and thrived on paviours!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

It could be you just bought a duff plant. It happens. Having said that, sometimes plants just refuse to read the books and won't grow in perfect conditions. According to expert lore, I should be able to grow lavender in the back garden. Can I *******? If your achillea self seeds, the new plants will be sure to pick the best spot.