London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
9 messages
25/04/2013 at 20:42

Anyone give me advice on climbing hydrangeas please?

25/04/2013 at 20:44

does anyone know the shrub name for an "umbrella plant" please?

25/04/2013 at 20:58

What advice are you looking for? Pruning, support, siting....... 

Google "climbing hydrangea for lots of advice".

The most likely proper name for your umbrella plant is cyperus alternifolius, though several other species carry the same common name, 

25/04/2013 at 21:05

Climbing hydrangeas don't like it too dry and the like a bit of shade.

25/04/2013 at 21:20

They also take a year or two to get going, then they grow really well.

25/04/2013 at 21:21

My climbing hydrangea was put in several years ago in semi shade, it really only gets early morning sunshine, it is a really great plant that I leave to get on with it.  I leave the flowers on till the following spring when it starts to bud again then I take off the dead flower heads.  These are so pretty in the winter.  I only cut back branches that stick out alot.  Plants underneath have to grow in dry conditions and very shady

It is a great plant and I recommend it as it covers fences fairly quickly.  I do put some horse manure around the base in early spring.  Hope that helps.

25/04/2013 at 21:23

Proper name for Climbing Hydrangea is Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris.

25/04/2013 at 21:26

I've got an evergreen one called Hydrangea anomala subs anomela 'Winter Surprise'. It's got a red tinge to the leaves and has come through the winter quite well for something that OH trod on when cutting something else. It's started clinging to its wall and I only planted it last year.

I've got one of the deciduous ones as well but in far to dry soil and it always looks a bit sad in summer, even last summer after the rains stopped. 

25/04/2013 at 21:53

About the Umbrella plant. Fatsia japonica comes to my mind and Schefflera??

email image
9 messages