London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
10 messages
10/08/2014 at 14:43

Hi i'm new here and new a growing plants, my name is steve and i hail from staffordshire. I have a question about the collection of seed pods on a Agapanthus plant. On many sites is says collect pods as they turn brown in autumn and allow them to split apart indoors. At the moment the pods are green but some of the pods on the plant have gone, do birds or and other animal eat these pods?. Can i collect when green or do i have to wait.

10/08/2014 at 14:48

Hi Steve, welcome

You need to wait til they're ripe, an old technique is to put a paper bag over their heads when they're nearly ripe to collect them. I've never lost any of mine but maybe your birds have developed a taste for them.

If it looks like you're losing a lot you could put the bag on early but don't let it stay there wet or you might get rotting

10/08/2014 at 15:33

Steve, welcome

Are you sure that the missing pods were there in the first place, some of mine have no pods where the flower wasn't pollinated.

10/08/2014 at 16:18

Ha ha maybe mark, i'll keep an eye on the pod on the plant.

10/08/2014 at 16:34

you do get masses of seed pods though. the headless ones are the unpollinated ones

10/08/2014 at 17:50

Thanks guys

10/08/2014 at 19:44

mine weren'r ripe and dry last year until November - had never tried them before but somebody recommended sowing immediately - half in seed trays indoors and half in a pot in the greenhouse.  I now have an awful lot of  potted on seedlings.....and I believe they may take up to 5 years to flower.....I hope I live long enough to see a result!  I wish you luck.

10/08/2014 at 19:54
Woodgreen wonderboy was talking about this on the forkers thread a couple of days ago, he seems to do well with them, i think he does use fresh seed tho, i intend to try the seed from my plants this year too
10/08/2014 at 20:59

I do find that some pods seem to mysteriously disappear, looking as if they break off. I have also collected the brown pods, the seeds are quite large and black. My best success come each year with those that germinate on their own in the gravel driveway, Very easy to tease up and they have fleshy white roots which are easy to pot up. They will seem to disappear over winter, but don't despair this is normal, and they will reappear. The thin leaved varieties are herbaceous. I think you may have your first flowers in year 3 if you are lucky. The larger/thicker leaved varieties are evergreen and more tender and need to come indoors. I haven't collected seeds from these yet, but will be looking this year. The blooms are fantastic.

10/08/2014 at 22:00

Hi,

I bought Queen Mum plants in 9cm pots, it took them over 3 years to get the first flower on each!

Thought I might get my pension before they flowered, this year  they have flowered for the first time!

email image
10 messages