Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ailanthus

Hello to anyone reading this, Im sorry to keep hogging all the threads! I cant seem to find any Ailanthus or tree of heaven for sale on ebay or even the internet. Just seeds. Does anyone know a nursery or garden centre who may sell them near Beds/Bucks? I would like a small tree ideally, not too expensive. Does anyone have any suckers from theres perhaps? Im aware of its unpopular habits but I grow about 6 stag horn sumachs in my garden and Im pretty sure I can keep it under control image

A long shot but any advice very much welcomed.

Dean.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Try Burncoose nurseries mail order.

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=211

• Thanks Fidgetbones, I wonder if that if that is the cheapest they cost and they are perhaps rare, it says £17.50 for a whip, I was hoping for a large sucker cutting or a small tree. A whip puts me in mind of a straight willow cutting or something that looks like a twig?

If anyone has an ailathus tree which suckers, please do drop me a message!

Dean.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Oh dear, I have, but I live in France and the suckers get mown by my OH on the garden tractor!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Oh dear Lizzie! They seem very hard to get hold of! I cant really afford to pay £17.50 for a whip. I will be patient as every plant is losing its leaves day by day and I will never find an ailanthus in winter! Perhaps spring image