London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
28/11/2013 at 14:28

Hi, 

I'm a newbie when it comes to plants. My boyfriend bought me an amaryllis a few months ago, it flowered and since then has grown a lot and looks like it's trying to flower again. It's clearly too big for the pot now and the roots are pretty visible. I'm guessing I need to repot it but unsure of the best way of doing this (I'm incredibly new to all of this!).

There are some photographs below. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks  

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34670.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34671.jpg?width=555&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34672.jpg?width=555&height=350&mode=max

28/11/2013 at 16:01

I would repot it after the flower has finished. Amaryllis bulbs only need a pot slightly bigger than the bulb. Feeding it while it is in leaf will keep the bulb big so you will get more flower buds forming.

28/11/2013 at 16:45

Is the top picture as it is now?  If 'yes' then re-pot it as fidget says in a slightly bigger pot and as is trying to grow again start watering it and put it in a warm sunny spot as it likes a sunny position.  When it has finished flowering keep watering and weekly feeding it till the leaves go yellow then let it rest in a cool place.  It will then tell you when it is ready to start all over again.  The leaves can take quite a while to die back.

28/11/2013 at 17:29

Yes, the photos show it as it is currently. Thanks so much for your help! 

28/11/2013 at 17:47

I start my bulbs in January after all the Christmas stuff is out the way. Then they rest from late summer in their pot and get re homed in Jan to start again. However early spring I realised one of my bulbs had a big patch of rot  so into the compost bin it went. I rediscovered it in summer growing away! Nothing ventured I thought so potted it up and left it in the greenhouse feeding and watering it. A few weeks ago I brought it indoors. I'm now puzzled as to what to do with it. The plant obviously regrew from the basal plate as there are about ten bulbs instead of one all the size of small daffodil bulbs. My instinct is to keep it growing but when do you think I should let it rest and split it up. It looks healthy but the leaves are much smaller and narrower than adult sized. Thanks

28/11/2013 at 17:53

It might take a couple of years of potting on and feeding before your bulbs get to flowering size, Bilje. My friend in australia had one growing outside, and it looked congested, so I dug it up. 34 bulbs later, we filled an area a metre square and gave them a good feed. it took two years for them to flower. I believe from seed to flowering size bulb takes 3 to 4 years.

I think if you are careful with the roots, you can split it and pot each one on individually at any time.

28/11/2013 at 18:07

Thanks FB I'll keep it going and see if it looks ready to split about April when it's warm and sunny! Then keep the individuals on the go until they look sturdy. I know we tend to grow them individually but I was at Keukenhof gardens last spring and they had some large pots planted with three or four bulbs which were spectacular. My home is double glazed so when the leaves come they get long trying to get enough light, I'd be unable to grow a multi pot sadly.

28/11/2013 at 18:12

Daisy - in the the second and third picture the leaves look really long and gangling (maybe the angle of the photo).  When your bulb starts up again put it on a sunny windowsill if you can in direct light and sun and hopefully the leaves won't get as long. 

03/12/2013 at 10:49

I recently took a trip to Amsterdam to buy bulbs for the spring. I was very surprised to see the bulb sellers growing amaryllis in vases with no soil, just a little sand in the base. One display had various glass vases all with healthy growing bulbs inside. I am going to give it a go next year.

03/12/2013 at 14:20

They will flower just fine like that Sara as everything needed is stored in the bulb (apart from water, light and air of course!)  However, once it has flowered it needs to be potted into compost and fed until the leaves die back to build-up the bulb again, if you want to keep it (some folk throw them away after this type of one-off use.)  If you don't let the bulb build up energy again it won't flower anymore and will eventually die if just left in sand.

email image
10 messages