Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

I think that your apricot will have been grafted. The shoots are coming from below the bump in the stem? It may well be a plum that has survived

If the original apricot stem is brittle and dead then there is no point in leaving it attached to the living part which may or may not be a plum. However, we are in uncharted territory from now on. The adventure is yours.....

If you bought them on the web, the original sales description might include the type of dwarfing rootstock, and that could help you decide

I would suggest selecting the strongest looking shoot and cutting the rest off - gently dig down and cut each one where it joins the rootstock if you can .  By doing that you'll end up with something tree-shaped and probably a plum - St Julian A or Torinel are rootstocks usually used for apricots.  If you leave all six shoots, you will end up with a kind of bushy mess and it will take longer to get to a blossoming stage (although you are still probably looking at a three to five year wait.) 

Sara I am impressed about the nasturtiums. I put a lot of seeds into my big tub this year and have had a grand total of TWO plants. And they are sickly looking things. I bow to your nasturtium skills

Nasturtiums can't survive the cold winter, but they leave their seeds arround, and it will be these seeds that grow next year when the time is right.