London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
12 messages
28/07/2013 at 21:08

I had two fruit trees delivered just before the unexpected cold snap hit us.  They were both just in the ground when the snow hit, and hadn't really had time to settle in.  This spring, the Peach tree grew leaves but the apricot didn't, and although I assumed it dead, I left it where it was.  Now though, it has five or six foot high shoots from below ground level and still nothing from the main stem.  Would these be from a rootstock, assuming they were grafted (they were dwarf trees)  and what should I do?

28/07/2013 at 21:09

Just re-read that and it could be misleading!  There are five or six shoots, and each of these is about twelve inches tall so far.  Sorry.

28/07/2013 at 21:17

I think that your apricot will have been grafted. The shoots are coming from below the bump in the stem? It may well be a plum that has survived

28/07/2013 at 21:55

Well, in truth if I get some pretty blossom I will be quite happy, and never mind if I get fruit (I would be so amazed if I did I wouldn't care what it was).  But should I now chop off the 'main' that is grafted bit of non functioning stem? and what should I do about the five or six mini plum/apricot tree shoots that have appeared?

28/07/2013 at 22:00

If the original apricot stem is brittle and dead then there is no point in leaving it attached to the living part which may or may not be a plum. However, we are in uncharted territory from now on. The adventure is yours.....

28/07/2013 at 22:07

If you bought them on the web, the original sales description might include the type of dwarfing rootstock, and that could help you decide

28/07/2013 at 22:25

A good thought Peter, but unfortunately I have just checked and because the purchase is archived the 'original listing is unavailable'.  Whatever it might be, I will try chopping off the apricot stem but I still don't quite know what to do about having six fruit tree shoots from, presumably, one root stock. This is way out of my gardening league I'm afraid, I've only just mastered growing nasturtiums from seed ....

29/07/2013 at 00:49

I would suggest selecting the strongest looking shoot and cutting the rest off - gently dig down and cut each one where it joins the rootstock if you can .  By doing that you'll end up with something tree-shaped and probably a plum - St Julian A or Torinel are rootstocks usually used for apricots.  If you leave all six shoots, you will end up with a kind of bushy mess and it will take longer to get to a blossoming stage (although you are still probably looking at a three to five year wait.) 

02/08/2013 at 22:41

Bob, Thank you for that advice - I'm sorry to be so late in saying so, but not getting email reminders is a bit of a pain.  I shall do as you suggest as soon as I can get at the rootstock without mangling all the poppies and the rather nice mystery little climber which is using the 'main' trunk at the moment.  Cheers - Sara

03/08/2013 at 22:04

Sara I am impressed about the nasturtiums. I put a lot of seeds into my big tub this year and have had a grand total of TWO plants. And they are sickly looking things. I bow to your nasturtium skills

03/08/2013 at 22:19

Mary, with perseverance you will master them!!!  I didn't even mean to move the nasturtiums from our last house, but they came in a variety of pots by themselves and to my great surprise have now managed to appear in all sorts of locations - including a totally barren area where I have recently dug up a lot of concrete.  Give them time and they will flourish ....

03/08/2013 at 23:04

Nasturtiums can't survive the cold winter, but they leave their seeds arround, and it will be these seeds that grow next year when the time is right.

email image
12 messages