London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
17 messages
07/04/2014 at 19:24

Hi All,

I have planted a few Asiatic lily bulbs in large containers. They have a good mixture of sand and compost. I have placed grit at the bottom of these containers to aid drainage.

It is raining quite a lot lately and isn't obviously too warm... I live in Nottingham. Will this affect my bulbs, or will they be fine??

Any advice on lily bulbs will be greatly appreciated.... no advice is better than someone who has previously grown these!!

Thanks in advance!!!

07/04/2014 at 19:26

They'll be fine

Lily's are made of tough stuff!

07/04/2014 at 19:32

Thank you!!

Do you know approximately how long it will take for them to start showing? I planted them about 6inches down? Is that right do you think??

Thanks

07/04/2014 at 20:35

That sounds good. I have some outside in pots, (nottingham outskirts) and they are showing through.  They were planted last year or year before. I top dress with well rotted farm yard manure as they like being fed. If the compost is too wet, raise the pot off the floor on bricks to let it drain better.

07/04/2014 at 21:11

Thanks fidgetbones!!

07/04/2014 at 21:31

Yup, I acquired my first lilies a few years ago now when I found an abandoned pot left behind by a neighbour.  Didn't know what was in it but whatever it was had been sadly neglected. I cleared the weeds and applied a helping of home grown compost just to see what happened. I was delighted when these gorgeous exotic flowers appeared and they have thrived so now I have several pots of them.  All I do is keep them clear of weeds and top them with compost when the foliage dies down.  I also keep them clear of the lily beetle, a beautiful creature but definitely not good for lilies. 

07/04/2014 at 21:49

You should try some Oriental Lily's too. They flower later in the year than Asiatic and have an incredible fragrance

08/04/2014 at 01:09

I think I might try some Oriental Lilies after seeing if these Asiatic ones come up! I've got so many flowers this year and veg. I definitely need to buy some more pots!!  

08/04/2014 at 01:11
08/04/2014 at 01:13

Has anyone ever grown the maroon lily??

08/04/2014 at 13:19

I tried some asiatic lillies for the first time last year. I just popped them into the container which was pretty much full of compost. They grew without much attention at all, and looked fab too! cant wait to see them come up again! I think they have just started to poke through the compost ever so slightly now - this is up in Leeds. 

08/04/2014 at 13:26

Kay8, that pic looks like a daylily to me

08/04/2014 at 21:32
I have no idea what it is... I just love the colour lol!
08/04/2014 at 22:07

That maroon one looks like a day lily to me too.

10/04/2014 at 01:14
Like I said, I have no idea what it is... I just like it! Are day lilys completely different to asiatic and oriental then?
14/04/2014 at 13:29

My Asiatic lily is definitely coming through now. and some other kind of lily I have planted (not too sure what that one is but seems to be coming up faster and earlier than the asiatic ones). I have noticed some other little shoots coming up with my lillies though - are these new little bulbs? Their shoots look different to the main bulbs but I have them everywhere I have lillies planted and the ones with the asiatic are the same dark red colour as it, and the others the vibrant green they are. Does anyone know if there is anything I need to do for these little shoots? or will they just look after themselves this year?

email image
17 messages