London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
4 messages
19/09/2013 at 10:37

Hi all,

Another question from me! I have grown an asiatic lilly this year, it flowered wonderfully very pleased with it. Will it need bringing in over winter or is it ok to leave outside? (it is in a pot). Should I cut back its foliage now that its done flowering? 

I also have another kind of lilly in a pot, but that one didnt manage to flower unfortunately. It grew some foliage, but no buds developed.. not too sure what kind that one is though.. 

Thanks!

19/09/2013 at 10:43

Wait until the leaves have died back completely and you can remove the stem without pulling it too hard.

I find Lilies to be hardy outside in my part of the UK and they stay outside all winter

19/09/2013 at 20:49

Give it a bit of protection against a wall. If the pot and compost freeze solid, the bulb will rot, and the pot may break. When it has died down, if its really cold you could put the whole pot in the shed or garage. The compost can be almost dry.

19/09/2013 at 21:01

Acid soil is supposed to be better than neutral or alkaline soil ..apparently lilies bulk up better and flower better in it.  

This year I potted some of mine in ericaceous compost to test that theory ...we'll see.

email image
4 messages