London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
5 messages
19/01/2014 at 14:53

HI

I have a long (90ft) south facing natural hedge on one of my boundaries. There are large trees to the south about 80ft away so it is not quite the suntrap it sounds. It's a mixed native species hedge probably planted when my barn was originally converted (12ft high (no problems with height as neighbouring properties a fair distance away)  and it's a great wildlife habitat,

Problem is that in the first 15 or so years of it's life it was badly pruned  and is very leggy with the bottom 2-3 ft very sparse and open. Any suggestions re suitable plants to under plant to give a bit of density low down?  Also in few spots some of the hedge plants have died and I'd like to get some relatively quick growing but "in keeping" replacements in place .

Soil is VERY heavy clay with large flints and like most clays varies from dry to waterlogged but obviously the established hedge is very water greedy and it's very difficult to dig a decent planting hole due to roots and stones and difficult access. Ant suggestions.

19/01/2014 at 14:56
19/01/2014 at 15:13

Thanks for the tip checking it out now.

19/01/2014 at 21:07

I don't know your native plants but when my hedge gets leggy I shorten nearly every other one to about 20m/8inches then the new growth fills in the base of the hedge.

Bill

19/01/2014 at 21:08

Sounds a good idea Bill

email image
5 messages