Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Been knipped.......

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

Ever since Monty planfed a couple of kniphofias recently I have gone knip crazy.  well, sort of!.  In a way........

A plant I have always scorned has now an appeal for me.  Still needs,careful siting I think and I haven't really gone mad about them. Their foliage is not exacrly handsome and I still have some misgivings but I have added a couple,to my garden.

Tawney King,,simply because Monty stirred my interest....is one, Toffee Nosed another   and Mango Popsickle (I looked into some time ago)  are my selected varieties.

any comments folks?  Any photos folks? Like or dislike?  Where have you planted them?  Curious to kkkkkknow image

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    I love them. I really like the ones with big fat flower spikes, one I admire from Phillips and Rix is Lye End (pictured at Wisley). But my garden is a bit small for one of those.

I've only got one. It had to be one with grassy leaves (no space to hide scruffy foliage), and be a reliable vigorous grower on my heavy-ish soil. I wanted K. thompsonii but the lady at Cotswold Garden Flowers advised K. 'Mango Popsicle' would be much better, so I went with that one. It seems to be coming back well, although a way off flowering.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

I can't seem to grow them.  Maybe because we are too high but I watched the programme too and know that shouldn't matter.  We are quite windy, could that be it?

where we used to live there was a garden full of them, obviously self seeded beside an old garage on a motorway approach.  Fairygirl may know where I mean

am tempted to try again,

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Are you on clay soil? The knowledgeable woman at CGF recommended Mango Popsicle as a particularly strong grower, even on heavy soil. They garden on an exposed site on heavy clay. She warned me off several varieties which tend to simply disappear, presumably being fussy about soil.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

A plant that takes up too much space for very little flowers IMO

• TesniTesni Posts: 163

I've bought some too, since watching that episode! Some Tawny King like Monty's, and some Timothy (salmon-orange).

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Lilly pilly, I am 960ft above and most times windy, they grow here.

I only have 3, they came in a mixed perennials pack of bare roots, from Parkers a couple of years ago.

I dont like them, very untidy, the flowers are not much compared to the masses of leaves.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Bizzybee63Bizzybee63 Posts: 73

Hi there Verdun , I  ordered my knips in March , a TM special offer ! I have the popsicle collection : Orange, Lemon and Mango! They are on a warm window will and getting very tall 30cm .I was going to harden them off "after Chelsea" ( oh my , look at me using gardeners jargon!! ). No doubt you will put me right....he he..

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I started with one bare root from Woolworthes too many years ago to remember and now I throw chunks away when dividing 

Slugs and snails love to hide in the foliage but they make lovely loam in the bald spots before division. Suits meimage

• TesniTesni Posts: 163

What beautiful colours in your garden Wintersong!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I have a few, my favourite is the huge Kniphofia northiae. Seems pretty oblivious to the weather.