London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
23/01/2014 at 22:31

Tracey, sorry to seem over pedantic but they are corms not tubers.   Ok, who cares?  We all know what we mean 

Dahlia tubers.  Begonia corms.  And yes, you can keep them from year to year and they will produce bigger and better plants.  Keep vine weevils away and keep warm and dry over winter though. 

Yes, delay planting for a while yet.  The corms are started into growth in trays...for me anyway....and when shoots appear I pot them up. 

Hope this helps 

23/01/2014 at 22:39
Thanks for the correction Verdun, very confusing though because even the websites call them tubers. No doubt I will make other mistakes but as long as I get some flowers, fruit and veg at the end of the summer I don't mind being corrected I think I've got my head round begonias now, my sweet peas are sorted so onto the next dilemma........
23/01/2014 at 22:41

I'm sure you will grow all those very well Tracey 

23/01/2014 at 22:42
As I say to my sons, as long as I try my best.......
24/01/2014 at 07:16

Tracey is right, most sites call them tubers, after all they are called 'tuberous begonias'.

According to Mr Google they are neither corms or tubers, they are hypocotyls.

'The hypocotyl is the stem of a seedling. In a handful of plants this stem is enlarged to a fleshy underground storage vessel. Tuberius begonias and cyclamen are examples of this.'

It goes on to say examples of corms are gladiola and crocus where the old corm die and leaves babies round the edge.

24/01/2014 at 09:12

Well I am but a simple Cornishman. 

Always ready to learn something......Begonias I grow are from corms .....more rounded, sponge like  ......as opposed to those that do form more usual roots.  

True, some begonias are called "tuberous" and these do form roots or tubers not something I grow too much of.

Come on you begonia experts .......some education here for us perhaps 

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages