London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
41 to 56 of 56 messages
01/06/2013 at 13:29

Lithodora does like acid soil but I grow it on my neutral ground.  A sequestrene spray in early spring is all I do to keep it healthy.  Or, grow it in a pot to cascade. ,ericaceous compost, terracotta pot and lithodora .....lovely evergreen sight

A better blue than geranium rozanne is Orion.  And Black Beauty too has deep dark true blue flowers......bonus is it has purple black foliage and is a well behaved compact plant

01/06/2013 at 17:25

Thanks Verdun. I looked them up and Orion looks lovely. I'll look out for it when I'm in England 2nd half of June.

01/06/2013 at 18:31

I've never seen blue gentian before, it's fabulous - is it wild enough to grow easily from seed? (I haven't had 100% success with posh seeds, to put it mildly!)  I have an overshadowed area where the soil is not great so I'm going to add some compost and throw wild flower seed in it - what would my chances be?

01/06/2013 at 18:50

Sara 4, I think wild flowers are used to fairly poor soil; compost may be too rich for them. Best to check with the seed suppliers.

01/06/2013 at 19:04

Suits me artjak, - If I can grow beautiful things in poor soil then my garden should improve much more quickly (and cheaply) than it's doing.  Any more ideas for 'throw and grow' seeds?

01/06/2013 at 19:50

I am just about to sprinkle white annual lavatera in the gaps, then cover with a thin sprinkle of compost; I believe they don't like to be transplanted, tried it once, they were not happy.

01/06/2013 at 20:30

sarah how about nasturtians?  they thrive on neglect and poor soil

01/06/2013 at 21:07

I have put in some unusual nasturtiums (cream and mauve spotty ones), and as you say they really don't care where they are - I also have lots of the orange/yellow ones which self seeded into the pots we moved from our last house and they're really holding their own.  I did sprinkle some lavatera (mixed pink and white I think) in one of the beds about a month ago, and a resounding nothing has happened!  Perhaps I'm not patient enough and they will explode into growth any minute, or maybe our blackbirds have had the lot, only time will tell!

01/06/2013 at 21:42

marigolds?

01/06/2013 at 21:54

It may not have been warm enough for the lavatera, you could try again? Verdun's idea is good and would it be too late to sprinkle some Nigella seed?

01/06/2013 at 22:30

I grow both native and Spanish bluebells (separately so they don't interbreed), perenial cornflower, nigella, several different types of campanulas, dark blue salvias, myosotis (forget-me-nots), polemonium (Jacobs ladder), larkspur, viola and dogs tooth violets, scilla, crocus, muscari, chinodoxa, irises, dark blue aquilega, linaria (toadflax), primula, asters, geraniums particularly Johnson's Blue, aubrieta, Delft Blue hyacinths, ceanothus, lilac, lavender, rosemary, hysop, fuscia, passion fruit. There are also hebes, buddlea, heliotrope, ipomoea, agapanthus, alliums, anchusa, sweet peas, chicory, gentians, pasque flower, tradescantia, delphiniums, lupins, limonium, scabacious, heathers, ageratum, nemophila, lobelia, petunia, streptocarpus, annual cornflower, linum (flax), verbena, eryngiums, vipers bugloss, that I have grown in the past. Then there are plants which I haven't grown such as several types of blue clematis, wisteria, hydrangers and blue leaved plants such as some pines and the rose Blue Moon. I could go on! It is difficult to single out a favourite, they all have their place.

01/06/2013 at 22:37

Thanks Artjak, I have some seeds left so I'll give it another go.  I hadn't thought of Marigolds Verdun.  I have cornflower, purple loosestrife, ragged robin and harebell seeds to throw in to the bit I have totally slashed and burned (was nettles, brambles, dandelions and rubble) but I will try them without compost as per Artjak's suggestion - I can always chuck a bit on top if it looks  like they're struggling.  I must get some willow gentian though, and I've just remembered borage as well - I don't think I'll ever have the selection itemised by Onegreen above though, much as I'd love to!

01/06/2013 at 22:51

yeah, agapanthus for me, my mum loves them so they remind me of her (she's not gone yet!) Bluebells, (grew up across a lane from a bluebell wood) love in the mist, and forgetmenots!! (bain of my life!) My favourite blue is the jacaranda tree when it first blossoms, very light blue and so beautiful, guess it reminds me of the med and Malta.. and good times. Ceanothus on a mature shrub, is absolutely superb, if it's been fed right, a 5 ft high by 3 ft across shrub can really wow. And the bees love it!

03/06/2013 at 18:19

Forgetmenots, Ive never seen this blue in another flower of  this shade of blue  infact if there is another Im open to suggestions - will start a new thread .

03/06/2013 at 18:30

Here is a blue phlox of some sort, forgotten which it is. It got very battered by the rainb and I tied it up so it's not looking it's best. In real life it's a lovely clear pale blue, not sure how the photo

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24710.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

will be.

03/06/2013 at 18:42

lucky3, the flax that both Verdun and I have mentioned is the most wonderful blue; but my wretched digital camera does not seem to really register blues properly.

email image
41 to 56 of 56 messages