Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best Plants for Deep Troughs

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise on the best type of plants for some containers I have. They are 1m wide, 24cm breadth and 90 cm deep. They will be placed against a fence that has part shade and act as a barrier for privacy.

We'd originally planned to use bamboo but now considering something else so we could have some colour. 

I guess my main concern is that we'd like the plants to grow to 5ft, to clear the fence, but would this be achievable with such a narrow trough? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,656

Clematis or honeysuckle to grow up the fence or obelisks in pots. You could also add othe seasonal plants and trailing plants in the pots to soften the look and shade the roots of the clematis. Trailing ivy or lobelia.

• The troughs aren't going to be tight up against the fence with a gap of approx 20cm as there is a stones border around the patio. Would that make a difference?

Also the wife is after a plant that stands on its own rather than a climber!!  

Apologies I should have put that in the original message

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I would go with Fargesia bamboo and use annuals for color.

• Thanks for the feedback. What about a pyracantha?

Would that work in a narrow pot?

Thanks
  • That looks great Edd. You've just made my mind up for me!!

Cheers to all who replied.
  • The troughs aren't going to be tight up against the fence with a gap of approx 20cm as there is a stones border around the patio. Would that make a difference?

Also the wife is after a plant that stands on its own rather than a climber!!  

Apologies I should have put that in the original message