3 messages
03/06/2012 at 21:29

Hi , I've got a bird of paradise ( the STREZ word which I can't spell !! ) It's flowered beautifully the last few years however this year it's got the flower spikes but at the top they look like they 've withered and feel like paper . They live in the conservatory and I have 'nt done anything different . It's about 3ft and  about 6 years old .

Any ideas ?  Thanks.

03/06/2012 at 21:37

Hubby has just bought me one for indoors. Am I likely to get it to flower without the heat of a conservatory? Does it really grow to 3ft?

03/06/2012 at 22:13

Depends on which one you have but they do grow enormous !  There' s a few species that grow even bigger . I had to give one away last year because it was taking over but they like to be potbound and let it almost dry out in winter Think if you keep it warm and put it in a sunny spot it should be ok . I waited 2 years for it to flower but when it did , it was spectacular. Don' t know whats happened this year though - just going to leave it and see what happens You may be interested to know that it's fed occasionaly on the ash from incense sticks as are some of my other flowering plants - my hibiscus thrives on it . It  seems to really enhance the blooms . Was a bit concerned at first because I was worried about the chemical content but it really works ! Quirky  - but true !!! Good luck with your B.O.P

email image
3 messages