London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
7 messages
25/08/2014 at 17:14
Hi I purchased a black eyed susan this year and it has provided us with endless orange flowers and vines as it climbs. Now autumn is coming I want to prune it and place in the greenhouse over the winter. What is the best way to prune a black eyed susan? Thank you all for your help from a newbie gardener
25/08/2014 at 17:28

hello Gem, I have been growing a Black Eyed  Susie for years and if you mean Thunbergia, I'm afraid they don't last through the winter and get a bit straggly at the end of the season. I believe there is a perennial type so perhaps you have that variety.  They would always be frost tender whichever one you are growing so maybe a tidying up of the plant would be the most you could do for it but don't build your hopes up! 

25/08/2014 at 17:49
Thank you daydaisy, Its one of my favourites from this year.

Just checked its a thunbergia sunny susie red orange....lovely orange.

I will give it a go cutting back and keep my fingers crossed otherwise it will definitely be on my list for next year!
26/08/2014 at 10:59

Try and collect some seed so you can grow it next year

26/08/2014 at 13:47

This is perennial but tender. If you can protect it from cold it will survive

30/08/2014 at 17:37

According to my RHS book there are annuals and perennials nut, sorry to argue!

31/08/2014 at 10:48

I'm sure your right dd.

I was thinking of Thunbergia alata, known as Black Eyed Susan, a tender perennial climber, grown as an annual in our climate. They last for years if you protect them in winter. 

email image
7 messages