London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
9 messages
11/06/2014 at 19:02

Heard recently that a feed of Sulphate of potash  in June is a good thing to give Camellias.

Anyone have any ideas on this ?

The plant I am thinking of particularly was a fairly large specimen which had just been dumped on a border...........barely planted..........I imagine for a couple of years at least and looked extremely rough.

I replanted in a different area a couple of years ago and it has flowered since but is still a pretty shabby specimen.  It does really need pruning back to shape but just wondered if the potash thingy would help too ?

Another smaller Cam..........different part of the garden..........has improved over the last 2 years simply by letting in more light on a very overgrown border........haven't done anything particular with this other than clearing weeds and giving it the remains of my Cafetiere every so often. 

So, is the Potash feed the best way to go ? 

11/06/2014 at 19:11

Not for me phiippa

If mine I would prune it ...yes, to nice shape but to buds lower down to encourage density. Forget flowers for next year.  A light organic feed....fish, blood and bone, the small element of lime won't affect it.....and a generous watering.  I would, however, use ericaceous john innes when planting and then a spray of epsom salts.  A position away from direct morning sun too. 

11/06/2014 at 19:26

Thanks Verdun.........the position is ok........when would be the best time to prune ?  I know it needs doing ..........Autumn maybe or now ?  When I replanted , I did add bonemeal and it certainly looks better than it was but still a bit crap.

Am prepared to lose the flowers next year.

Epsom salts ?.......Foliar spray do you mean ? 

Sorry, Camellias really aren't my thing but I'd like to keep it if possible.  maybe I should just stick to my Citrus

11/06/2014 at 20:09

Prune now.  You have a whole growing season for it to make some decent growth.  New growth on camellias is usually very attractive too 

Epsom salts, primarily magnesium, but a great tonic to most plants.  

No, have a go with the camellias.  Lovely shrubs and pretty easy too Philippa 

12/06/2014 at 08:56

OK Verdun....thanks for that

18/06/2014 at 14:24

Verdun........sorry...........just one more question...........having now got some Epsom salts, I'm about to prune the Camellia and feed as you suggested.

The only directions are for people rather than plants and as I've never used the Salts before, I am unsure quite how to apply.

Do you dilute with water and water the plant (and if so, what ratio to use ) OR do I sprinkle the salts around the base, rake it in and then water OR are you talking about spraying the foliage and if so, again what ratio ?

Will appreciate some clarification so thanks  

18/06/2014 at 16:06

Hiya philippa

Its such a safe treatment that exact measurements are not necessary. I add a tablespoon to 10 litres of water or a teaspoon to a litre spray. Early morn or evening when sun is not directly on the plant. A second spray in 4 weeks or so too

18/06/2014 at 16:15

Many thanks Verdun..........

20/07/2014 at 20:33

Verdun..........just to say many thanks for the Epsom Salts tip.

Poor old Camellia definitely looks a bit more sprightly .......due for her 2nd spray within the next few days.

Thanks again

email image
9 messages