Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone recommend a Jamine for me?

AdRockAdRock Posts: 241

Hi,

I'd like to train a jasmine to cover a pergola and would like it to be fully hardy and evergreen with white flowers, can anyone suggest a suitable variety?

I thought I had it with the sambac but turns out it isn't fully hardy

Thanks in advance!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

The only white flowered evergreen jasmine I can think of is Trachelospermum jasminoides, but it needs a sheltered spot. Having said that, mine has survived -7°. It looked a bit unhappy one cold winter and lost leaves but when spring came it grew back.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • AdRockAdRock Posts: 241

oh hey, thanks for the reply. yes, i was thinking about a star jasmine but it's not a true jasmine so disregarded it. i think i may have to rethink my plan and go with a clematis or something... back to the drawing board!

i'm still keen on getting a sambac for a pot but can't find them ANYWHERE!!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=5685  Not hardy, jasmine sambac, would have to be indoors or in a conservatory.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • AdRockAdRock Posts: 241

thanks so much! yes, it's going in a pot outdoors in the summer and indoors when it gets chilly! i want to grow it for the flowers so i can start making jasmine green tea image