Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I move my peony?

Amateur82Amateur82 Posts: 3

Hi, I am new to gardeners world. I am in the process of trying to re-design a garden that was neglected by its previous owners.  I have a peony which I planted when I brought the house four years ago.  I now want to move the peony about 2ft into my raised border, i have heard rumours that you shouldn't move them is this true? I wondered whether it could be done now whilst it is dormant?  Please advise...

• sal3sal3 Posts: 18

Avoid moving,and you cannot divide clumps to increase stock .Ive made mistakes with moving these they died instantly once replanted.   Mulch in spring ,Stake the stems,water in dry weather,deadhead faded blooms,and feed with general fertiliser in late summer,hope this helps!

• Thanks for the advice.  I am an amateur, what would i mulch with? 

• sal3sal3 Posts: 18

A mulch is simply a loose layer of material placed on the surface of the soil.The organic option is leaf mould or well rotted garden compost.Gravel and pebbles can be used,but they are inorganic.

• Thank you.  Really appreciate your help. 

• I redesigned my garden about 6 years ago and removed everything from the beds, including peonies.  I transplanted them into a bed round the corner and then the following season moved them back again.  They survived each move well and the area which I used as a transplant bed, still has some peonies in it, as a couple of the small tubers must have broken off and prospered.  Don't be afraid to move them!!

• I have moved peonies in the past.    They don't like being moved and tend to sulk.    I found it took them about four years before they flowered for me!

• I agree with oakroyd.   The trick is to remove them with enough soil around them so that they don't think they've been moved.    Cunning, eh!

• AliPAliP Posts: 64

I've moved many peonies in the past and all successfully. The important thing is that you don't plant them too deep else that is when they will sulk and not flower for you.  So just make sure you plant at the same depth and you should be fine. Best done in early autumn.

• homebirdhomebird Posts: 110

I agree with AliP. I have moved and split mine countless times over the years when the foliage has died down and before the new growth is showing through the soil.

• yep move it now while the soil is damp  it will be ok