London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
181 to 200 of 210 messages
13/04/2014 at 19:48

You're just showing off LOL  I might put some  of mine out when it's summer in my new sink 

15/04/2014 at 21:54

Stacey....advice please 

I've potted my Cherry Bomb chillies on as they really were getting quite big, I've left them in the clumps of 4 that they had grown in though and just put them in bigger pots (Square).  Now for the next stage.  

I have watered them and they are outside at the moment, will be brought in when I have finished typing this!  When can I put them in the GH or do they never go in the GH, do I just keep bring them in/out until the end if may and then leave them out?  Or should I put them out during the day and in the GH at night rather than the house?Sorry you may have told us this but I can't remember 

25/04/2014 at 16:05

Is it polytunnel time yet?

27/04/2014 at 10:37

Not sure Bob and don't think Stacey has been on much.

I have now put half in the GH (they may well stay there) and half still in the house and hardening off during the day outside, i just hope it's not too early 

27/04/2014 at 13:39

OL - mine seem to be perfectly happy in the greenhouse right now. If its looking like a cold night I put them in propagators for extra protection though they're growing to the point they wont fit much longer. If the weather changes for the worse I'll put them in my plastic greenhouse within the actual greenhouse but its been so mild this year I'm not too worried about big frosts.

Just keep an eye on the weather reports!

27/04/2014 at 15:30

Thanks Clari, I have been doing and even though last night was a really clear night the GH didn't go below 7c, hasn't been below 4c for a good few weeks now so fingers crossed.  Trouble is, no room in the GH either 

29/04/2014 at 06:55

Ive put some of mine in heres a pic

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44061.jpg?width=350

Heres a few of mine taken last week, the big ones cayenne, then purrira, prarie fire, trinidad scorpion on the end. Also trying jalapeños. Mine seem to be ok out the house. Please ignore the messy background,  next time ill tidy up 

29/04/2014 at 07:59

Underwear on the radiator Bob......just a normal house 

The Cayenne is big isn't it, is that because it was grown sooner or is it a bigger plant anyway?  My 3 varieties differ quite a bit in size, I'm presuming it's be sue they are different sizes in the end?

29/04/2014 at 19:32

I started the Cayenne 2 weeks before the rest, the Purrira seem to be catching up now, but the hot chillis like the Trinidad scorpion are about half the size, the caynennes have had flower heads on them now for about a week not opened yet but hopefully will be soon

05/05/2014 at 09:43

Get those chillies out lol...... I'm back sorry bout the absence v busy...... Bob hotter Caribbean chillies always seem to start slower..... all of mine are out and transplanted now...... 

05/05/2014 at 21:18

So they can go outside now Stacey? Just bring them in if there is frost?  Do they need to be a certain size to go out, mine haven't grown much since potting on?? 

Good to see you back x

10/05/2014 at 19:07

Yes orchid get them out now.... Lol no any size is fine the weather is good enough now.... as long as they are sheltered mine have got a bit battered in this wind!!! Get some chilli focus but do not feed until they have flowers.... Don't keep them too wet 

10/05/2014 at 22:39

Thanks Stacey, I'm going to put them behind the GH, it's quite sheltered there, until the weather is more like summer 

10/05/2014 at 23:43

Bumped for Ommthree.....the last few posts talk about putting the plants outside, hoe it helps. 

11/05/2014 at 23:27

Would it be best to put them in polytunnel/greenhouse or will outside be ok?

12/05/2014 at 11:09

for future refference, what would people suggest is the best place to buy seeds, what site has the best choice and info? Seedaholic is the best for info that I've found as far as a general site goes.

12/05/2014 at 11:10

I'm not sure Jim, I had my own personal seed provider this year....not sure if she takes orders  I can highly recommend her seeds though, mine have almost all germinated and are looking fab 

12/05/2014 at 15:27

Thanks, I have fresno seed stored in the fridge and I'm growing Apache again this year just for fun but it's nice to shake it up and grow something different. I had a big bag full of last years chillies. I whizzed it in the food processor and made chilli powder which is so much easier to add to my pizza but I really like to have fresh ones as well. They make nicer sauces and chilli jelly. They're just great things to grow though. I'm sure I look for excuse to use them.

12/05/2014 at 17:29

I'm planning on making chill sauce and relish with them Jim and drying some to blitz and store in jars, we use quite a lot of chilli 

12/05/2014 at 17:36

Jim............if it's any help, I am still using my Cayenne chillies from a bumper harvest in 1996...........like you, I grind a few at a time for Chilli powder.  What has surprised me is that I decided to use a few of the seeds from these pods this year just to see if they would germinate.  Lo and behold, they sprung up like good'uns

I always make my own Chilli sauce and paste..........I also like them with Ginger to spice up a Tomato sauce...........just right with Leek and Goat's Cheese Tart.

I agree that you always need fresh as well as dried.  Not come across Chilli Jelly tho..........how do you do that ?  Like Redcurrant jelly maybe ?

181 to 200 of 210 messages