London (change)
Sat 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
61 to 80 of 210 messages
25/02/2014 at 11:42

(Despite said woes I may have just tweeted a local "chilli farm" asking if they stock the Peter Peppers as they're worth growing for the giggle factor at BBQs alone!

25/02/2014 at 12:06

One of the chilli farms (I got carried away on Twitter) just sent me a message suggesting I try putting the propagator above the fridge for a more consistent temperature at night. Looks like I'll be getting my little step out tonight! My propagator is heated but non adjustable and I've no idea what temperatures it gets, I remove it from the window every night so it doesn't get chilled but until they sprout the fridge might be a good place - certainly will remove any temptation to remove the lid to take a look!

25/02/2014 at 18:58

I'm not sure what varieties you're growing but I normally just do mine on a windowsill above a radiator. I've 100% germination from shop bought seed. 

27/02/2014 at 18:10

Did anyone know it is National Chilli Day?  They were talking about it on R2, how appropriate that I should receive my package of seeds from Stacey today 

Edd
27/02/2014 at 19:23

Hi Stacey.

Hope you got the PM  and just thought you would like to know the question from my son (who has become camera shy. Sorry)

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38489.jpg?width=350

do your seeds grow this fast?

We had mushy egg and bread and he thought he would ask if they would germinate at the same rate????. Not the eggs or bread. Just the cress, we did but, I did not have the heart to tell him, that your seeds might take a little bit longer.

I said you would let him now. Hope that is O.K. LOL. 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38490.jpg?width=350

Just after we ate it. 

Its down to you know hun!!!!!

LOL.

27/02/2014 at 21:48

Note to self - next time I'm handling Stacey's chilli seeds wear gloves!!  I now have watery eyes and burning lips and it proves how dim I am!!

All seeds now in jars on the work top waiting for their bedtime drink 

Hubbie said thank you Stacey, he loves chillies and can't wait to have some, I just hope I am successful in growing them now!!

Just one question, how many seeds do you sow in each pot?

Edd
27/02/2014 at 21:56

I am thinking about 3-4 per pot,Tracey.  I am using 2 and 1/2 inch. pots. so i guess it depends?

Be careful how you handle your husband tonight or he might go off chillies and you can't blame Stacey then LOL.

Edd

27/02/2014 at 22:00

LOL Edd, better than saying I've got a headache 

I was thinking about that too, will give it a go unless Stacey tells me otherwise before morning when sowing begins 

Your son looks cute, bless him.  I wish I had toddlers again instead of terrible teens!!! The time goes way too fast!!!

Edd
27/02/2014 at 22:14

My time will come Tracey and all too fast i am afraid!

One minute its stand up and talk and the next its sit down and shut up.! I am sure you know all to well.

Regards

Edd

27/02/2014 at 22:17

Oh yes Edd 

Better not hijack Stacey's thread any more 

03/03/2014 at 19:14
Bumped up for Allium
03/03/2014 at 19:27

Oh it's not my thread Hun it's everyone's... Yes put 3/4 Into a nice pot. Clarington wow that's a great suggestion to put them on top of the fridge. I also just grow mine on te window ledge by the window, sealed in large freezer bags.... Tracey if conditions are right some will germinate within 8-10 days. Should have warned you about gloves!!!!! Ssooorrrrreeeeeeee

03/03/2014 at 19:30

Clarington just read your post. Some seeds just take longer than others to germinate. I always rotate my seed tray daily. But the chilli farm( which one btw) is right they do need constant temperature. As soon as they germinate then yet can be moved but not transplanted. I wouldn't transplant until at least 2 true leaves have formed. if they get leggy they can be planted deeper they will grow just the same 

03/03/2014 at 19:32

It's Ok Stacey, I  learned my lesson LOL!  The vet had given me some thin plastic gloves to apply cream for Ollie so I used them for sowing the seeds.

All done now and on the windowsill I the sunshine, well not at this moment obviously but you know what I mean 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38777.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

I forgot I took this pic, all my seeds having a drink before sowing 

Edd
03/03/2014 at 22:19

Tracey!!! You do know that is a pure alcohol still, dont you? There is no need to go that far for distilled water, for your plants!

Please send me the failed attempts and i will dispose of it for you.

I promise i will not even charge you postage or disposal fee. 

( can you add sloes, and give it two weeks before sending. Please.)

Regards

Edd

03/03/2014 at 22:30

Ha ha Edd, it is tea I promise, a bit early for the Sloe gin or Sloe brandy 

Edd
03/03/2014 at 23:36

O.K. Hun.

But your chilli farm for beginners thread sounds good. ( did i just expand on that text i just pasted?  ) When do you start.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38793.jpg?width=225&height=225&mode=max

My god that is big! 

Edd. I can't explain that one so i won't 

04/03/2014 at 07:08

Morning all.... Tracey that is v impressive I hope they germinate well for you and produce cracking plants as fruits..... Well a cold crisp morning with the sun rising over the steel roofs of slough trading estate... Costa coffee in hand so all is well... I planted out some digitalis grandiflora plants yesterday grown from seed ( from seed swap) my seed box is still overflowing. The window ledges are groaning all around the house ... Got to move some of the chillies upstairs tonight and plant another batch up I know it's late but!! I'm glad we are going to the chilli fiesta this year there is a grower there called Michael ( he advised hugh fernley whitingstall) and he is a font of knowledge I have a 3 year old plant I want to show him as he reckoned it wouldn't do the plant any good over wintering it( I'm getting chillies on it already)!!!! Right work later peeps xx

04/03/2014 at 07:09

Whoops wrong thread lol

04/03/2014 at 08:57

LOL Stacey, I hope I get good plants/fruits too, I have never had much success before and when I did get chillies on something ate them!!!! 

61 to 80 of 210 messages