Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis wilt?

I have a clematis crystal fountain (pruning group 2), which has been growing vigorously since last month.  It is now a wonderful height, with lots of buds waiting to burst open, but this morning I noticed some of the newer leaves are quite limp looking (though very green still).  There are also a few at the bottom which look slightly limp and straggly from certain angles, whilst others are bouncing and healthy looking.  

Does anyone know whether this is the dreaded clematis wilt, or is it woo early.  The websites I have looked on all say that wilt usually occurs in the early summer.  

I will be full of disappointment if it continues, as it has grown so fully...

Any advice would be wonderful.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

Have a look at the stems - check whether they've been 'peeled' by grazing snails in the night - they seem to love the bark of clematis stems!

At my last garden I'd spend rewarding spells in late evenings with a torch scouring the tangled montana stems for marauding snails - they were sent on 'foreign holidays via air travel' to neighbouring gardens  -   all right, I know they don't stay in their new gardens, but at least they spent a few hours en route home rather than on my clematis. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks.  I will have a look later.  Do you think it is more likely to be slugs / snails than wilt?  I would be happier if that's the case, as less damaging?

I did spot a snail earlier, and sent it into orbit!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

In Wilt the leaves turn dark green, nearly purple and it begins at the base of the plant. Mollusc damage causes the leaves to droop from the top of the plant downwards.

• Thanks Berghill.  It seems that it is more likely to be those pesky snails!!  What is the best way to rid them, as the clematis is trailing up my fence, which they can happily climb?

• Thank you all.  You have been so helpful.  I will be on a slug busting mission later!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

Print this out and leave it around the garden - that'll scare them  http://www.campaignforrealfarming.org/2012/01/mendip-wallfish-snails/  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ewwwwwwww!  Yuk!  Thanks Dovefromabove!