Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Climbing french beans

DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Is there a way of stopping them climbing any taller? Mine have gone completely crazy and already I can't reach the tops without climbing up the step ladder.  If they take off up the nearby monkey puzzle tree all will be lost (at least the beans up there will be - it has cruelly sharp spines). I pinched out the growing tips when they got to the top of the canes but the side shoots have now got up, up and away image

Another question, has anybody tried growing compact courgette plants?  Do they crop as well as ordinary ones?

A picture of the chaos

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Just keep pinching out the shoots or cut the stem a bit further down.
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Thank you, I'll try that image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Wow - they all look massively healthy and well-maintained!

I love french beans and home grown are so delicious. I haven't really got a dedicated veg area and that bed is so well suited to grow anything and everything, sheltered, sunny etc. I've rediscovered growing my own since I moved here 2 years ago and I just do the beans and courgettes (and some herbs) and I'm loving it image

• You have my sympathies, DyersEnd - I had a similar problem with Climbing French beans 'escaping' their cane wigwam and happily setting off up a 25' holly tree! Tasty beans, however, but I had to pick them wearing heavy welding gauntlets!! (Sadly no pics available, we ate them all!).

'like'.  Prickly holly leaves sound as inhospitable as monkey puzzle spines but yes, gauntlets - needs mustimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The ends that hang down, I just wind around the next cane and they grow up again. bit of a tangle but it works.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I have climbing French Bean envy!  This year, mine have barely reached half-way up the canes, and the cropping has been pretty poor.  I have grown them for many years, and found that "Cobra" are reliable - except for this year!  I;ve planted a few more alongside to see if I can manage to get a late crop - but I;m not holding my breath!

Courgettes:  I have grown the compact plants, so they don't trail all over the place, and they just keep cropping and cropping!  Fantastic - if you like courgettes, that is image

Thank you shrinking violet for the compact courgettes info.  I do like courgettes so will try them next year.  Sorry about your beans image  Fingers crossed for a late crop for you)

I've done that too fidgetbones and it makes bean picking a very exciting job - keep finding big fat escapees.  I suspect I'm just going to have to put up with it and get my 6 ft tall son to come harvesting.  He'll be up for it if I offer to feed him no doubt!

• I grow my climbing beans on two wigwams several feet apart, with a horizontal cane joining the two wigwams at the top. When the beans reach the top, I get them to twine across this cane, which keeps them within reach.

Never heard of compact courgettes - can anyone recommend a variety?