Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Climbing iceberg rose companion

jaffacakesjaffacakes Posts: 434

Hi all, just wondering what you all think would associate well growing through a Climbing iceberg rose? I am thinking of either Etoille violette, Perle D'azur or Jackmannii. I can't make a choice though. My local garden centre has Clematis jackmannii in stock at the moment. Maybe you have some other suggestions which are welcome? Thanks image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I think Etoile Violette might be too vigorous, I have one that I cut right down each year and it's huge.

I have a Multiblue on an Ena Harkness rose which has rather bare stems on the bottom half. I had a Iceburg in a previous house and it's stems were a bit bare below. So a clematis that would cover that might work. I like your idea of blue or purple though. Would look good with white.

Photo of my Multiblue.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Clematis Jenny is a really good blue, Late Large Flowered Group, flowers July to September, would look good with Iceberg.

Or Vanessa.........

• Etoile Violette is a stunning cultivar, best grown through a rich yellow climbing rose as it has yellow stamens. The strong  dark purple, same with Jackmanii ( if you can find the true form ), would 'kill' the soft colour of the rose, you wouldn't see it.

• jaffacakesjaffacakes Posts: 434

Thanks all for suggestions. Maybe a pale blue might be better with this rose. Clematis Jenny looks lovely. I also saw Clematis Blue angel in my local garden centre. I might go for this one as it looks stunning.image

• imageimageEmilia Plater also does well in the garden here and Hanna is another pale blue with nodding bell shaped flowers.