Start a new thread
Swedboy

Do you just wait until they are released by the plant or do you pick them when they look like a walnut? My Empress of India is full of seeds but none looks ready exept for a couple that was lying next to the planter. Should I just wait for them to be released or pick them when they are brown?

fidgetbones

They'll still be green when the plant sheds them .

I then pick them up and let them dry in a bowl in the kitchen.

Atilla

Fallen ones and ones that come off in your hand should germinate. You just let them dry in a paper bag til spring. You can normally tell when the seeds are ripe just by the size of the seed pod.

Swedboy

Cool. I'll wait for them to be released and dry them indoors. 

Swedboy

Seem to have posted this twice. 

Advertisement

Thomas Wilkinson2

Ah handy! was just thinking about my nasturtiums this morning. This year is the first time I have grown them, I have a variety called "Peeping Tom". is it important to collect the seeds and store them? or should I just let them fall into the planter they're in and that way have them next year too? Also they seem to be a favourite of some kind of aphid, a little black one. They seem to leave most of my plants alone, but the nasturtiums seem to get covered in them sometimes. Is there much I can do inexpensively? 

Thanks!

GillyL

A few will seed themselves,but I find it better t collect them and dry out as described by Fidgetbones,most important is to store when dried in paper bags.

Atilla

They can self seed but given this years long spring, I got none that did and none survived. So if you want some free ones next year you need to collect the seeds.

Swedboy

I planted some seeds this spring and they only germinated some weeks ago!

fidgetbones

I have some self set, but I always collect a few seed to push in  3inch pots for gap filing

. I currently have a forest of self set Cerinthe major purpurascens, which I might pot up a few small ones to overwinter in the greenhouse, but I bet the big ones don't get to flowering stage before the frost gets them.

The hot then wet then hot weather seems to have triggered quite a few seeds to grow prematurely. I have quite a few seedling of Verbena bonariensis to pot up and overwinter indoors too.

Hi - mine are only just putting up leaves??? 

They self-sowed themselves (as they do every year) and I have loads but no flowers yet.  Does anyone else have this problem? 

They are planted in my front garden that gets loads of sunshine/light and have usually done very well but I suppose the weird weather this year has confused them?

Any chance they'll still flower and produce seeds this year?

xx

tattianna
Thomas Wilkinson2 wrote (see)
Also they seem to be a favourite of some kind of aphid, a little black one. They seem to leave most of my plants alone, but the nasturtiums seem to get covered in them sometimes. Is there much I can do inexpensively? 
I've tried growing Nasturtiums  quite a few times and they always get covered in what I believe to be black fly. I've tried wiping them off as someone once suggested but they always returned. I didn't want to start spraying them with the likes of privado so I gave up growing them.

Swedboy

I get them too but mostly if they dry out. Not that bothered with them as it doesn't seem to harm the plant too much.

Thomas Wilkinson2

Hi all,

collected some seeds off of my nasturtiums today. would I be best to dry them and plant them in spring or throw them straight into a pot now? 

Thanks!