London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
15 messages
15/09/2013 at 21:05

Do you just wait until they are released by the plant or do you pick them when they look like a walnut? My Empress of India is full of seeds but none looks ready exept for a couple that was lying next to the planter. Should I just wait for them to be released or pick them when they are brown?

15/09/2013 at 21:15

They'll still be green when the plant sheds them .

I then pick them up and let them dry in a bowl in the kitchen.

15/09/2013 at 21:21

Fallen ones and ones that come off in your hand should germinate. You just let them dry in a paper bag til spring. You can normally tell when the seeds are ripe just by the size of the seed pod.

15/09/2013 at 21:23

Cool. I'll wait for them to be released and dry them indoors. 

15/09/2013 at 21:28

Seem to have posted this twice. 

16/09/2013 at 09:11

Ah handy! was just thinking about my nasturtiums this morning. This year is the first time I have grown them, I have a variety called "Peeping Tom". is it important to collect the seeds and store them? or should I just let them fall into the planter they're in and that way have them next year too? Also they seem to be a favourite of some kind of aphid, a little black one. They seem to leave most of my plants alone, but the nasturtiums seem to get covered in them sometimes. Is there much I can do inexpensively? 

Thanks!

16/09/2013 at 09:17

A few will seed themselves,but I find it better t collect them and dry out as described by Fidgetbones,most important is to store when dried in paper bags.

16/09/2013 at 10:10

They can self seed but given this years long spring, I got none that did and none survived. So if you want some free ones next year you need to collect the seeds.

16/09/2013 at 10:19

I planted some seeds this spring and they only germinated some weeks ago!

16/09/2013 at 10:30

I have some self set, but I always collect a few seed to push in  3inch pots for gap filing

. I currently have a forest of self set Cerinthe major purpurascens, which I might pot up a few small ones to overwinter in the greenhouse, but I bet the big ones don't get to flowering stage before the frost gets them.

The hot then wet then hot weather seems to have triggered quite a few seeds to grow prematurely. I have quite a few seedling of Verbena bonariensis to pot up and overwinter indoors too.

16/09/2013 at 13:33

Hi - mine are only just putting up leaves??? 

They self-sowed themselves (as they do every year) and I have loads but no flowers yet.  Does anyone else have this problem? 

They are planted in my front garden that gets loads of sunshine/light and have usually done very well but I suppose the weird weather this year has confused them?

Any chance they'll still flower and produce seeds this year?

xx

16/09/2013 at 13:55
Thomas Wilkinson2 wrote (see)
Also they seem to be a favourite of some kind of aphid, a little black one. They seem to leave most of my plants alone, but the nasturtiums seem to get covered in them sometimes. Is there much I can do inexpensively? 
I've tried growing Nasturtiums  quite a few times and they always get covered in what I believe to be black fly. I've tried wiping them off as someone once suggested but they always returned. I didn't want to start spraying them with the likes of privado so I gave up growing them.

16/09/2013 at 14:06

I get them too but mostly if they dry out. Not that bothered with them as it doesn't seem to harm the plant too much.

27/09/2013 at 15:13

Hi all,

collected some seeds off of my nasturtiums today. would I be best to dry them and plant them in spring or throw them straight into a pot now? 

Thanks! 

27/09/2013 at 15:23

Save and plant in spring.

email image
15 messages